Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Baby Baby Baby

Jackie Turner
@jackie-turner
11 years ago
76 posts

I have made the decision to start my dreads:) I'm excited and nervous and scared..so many emotions running through right now. I want to do them naturally (or maybe by twisting and ripping) but my hair is kind on the short side. It sits on my shoulders. So I'm afraid that when the dreads start to shrink up my hair is either going to get super short or maybe even stick out. So I was wondering, if I buy dread extensions, how would I get them in or what would I do? My main thing is throughout this process I dont want my hair to be super short. I'm a big girl and my face looks weird with shorter hair. Or could I put in synthetic extensions and the rip or thread it all together like that? Just looking for some perspective.

updated by @jackie-turner: 01/13/15 09:49:33PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

dont get extention youll hate em

just let it dread naturaly and the shrinkings alot les of aa factor

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jackie Turner
@jackie-turner
11 years ago
76 posts

how much will it shrink though?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

going natural probly 1/2

hard to predict tho

--
Jackie Turner
@jackie-turner
11 years ago
76 posts

cool. and what do I do to my hair in the process of it locking to keep it semi organized? I work in fast food. Can i put it up without brushing it or will that disrupt the lokcing

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

putting it up will slow progress slitghtly and u will have to seperate more but thats all its fine to do if u need to

--
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Short hair does have less shrinkage than super long hair, but yes, it will shrink. There is a product called Biotin which can be found in your local drug stores vitamin section. Taken for 3 months, this will promote hair growth.

You work in a fast food place, if you are behind the counter, you could wear a hair net which is loose enough and would tame down any bizarre days you may have with your hair, we all have them in the beginning.

I understand you are concerned about you being a big girl not wanting short hair. But maybe you can look to the future of what you will look like in 3 years with natural, free form dreads. You will look beautiful. If you give in to extensions now, you would set back any progress that would be happening with natural dreads. Start with natural now, take biotin (it is not instant growth) and let those dreads start. People will not say "your face is rounder with short hair", they will say "look at those awesome dreads". Your hair will grow and one day those dreads will be down your back.

You can tie some beautiful bows with scarves etc to use as head bands to add a little oompf to the shortness when you go out. With dreads you need a vision to the future, not how they will look in the first year. Also I would like to say that Big Girls Are Beautiful,always remember that.

Peace

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form