Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Just got hair dreaded today. Need help please.

Kyren Smoot
@kyren-smoot
11 years ago
3 posts

Okay, so I got mine done about thirty minutes ago.

While dreading my hair my hairdresser was initially using Lock & Twist gel, which I was okay with. But without telling me and while already halfway done, she switched to using Beeswax.

Now, from what I've seen online, wax for dreads is a no-go. So my question is, will my dreads be alright, health wise? And is there anyway I can get the wax out of my hair withoutcompletelydestroyingthe dreads and having to start over.

Additional info:

I am mixed (Black & White)

My hair is pretty long prior to the dreading (4-5 inches)

Not sure exactly what method she used. I think she sectioned, twisted, and clipped each dread, but I am a newbie and possibly wrong about that.

Any info whatsoever will help. Just wanna make sure my dreads will be clean, healthy, and look good.

updated by @kyren-smoot: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

There's a product you can buy called Wax-B-Gone that's had positive results in removing wax. Besides that, it can take...a pretty long time...to get it all out, but thankfully it was just the once. Twisting is an OK method to start off with, I believe, but don't get them re-twisted, just let them do their thing now. Get the wax out and they should be OK :) I had mine backcombed and used wax the first time, but I got the wax out and they've dreaded very well, so not the end of the world.

Kyren Smoot
@kyren-smoot
11 years ago
3 posts

Thanks for the info.

Also, she told me that I shouldn't wash my hair for the first month after the initial dreading, and for somereason, I take her advice as less than reliable.

So, should I go along with not washing for the first month, and then trying the Wax-B-Gone or...?

Sorry, I have very little knowledge of dreads or the processes.

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Pretend she's a liar and let's go from there lol it's easier. Clean hair dreads quicker, and washing actually really helps with dreading, you can practically see it getting tangled before your eyes. Wash it today, tomorrow, whenever you want, there's no need to wait. I will say though, they may come loose or 'fall apart' after they've been washed, but it's nothing to worry about. Most of them do, and it's normal, it'll dread back up again on its own. If you keep re-doing them after they come loose, they'd never be able to make their own progress, so just adding that on now so you don't get worried about it later on. Use the Wax-B-Gone as soon as you have it, there's no reason to wait a month, to be honest.

Kyren Smoot
@kyren-smoot
11 years ago
3 posts

Thanks for all the info you guys gave.

Lol, she also told me to never ever get you hair wet even in the slightest.

One last thing though, I should be getting residue free shampoo right? I heard that it is also called dry shampoo.

Cole Morton
@cole-morton
11 years ago
109 posts

Glad you found this site now!!!! All of the above is great advice, and I would just stress the importance of reading the "Dreaducation" tab at the top. Ask questions!! Everyone here just wants to help everyone else achieve their journeys! Good luck to you...Get the wax be gone...Wash your hair.....And wait for the magic to happen. Blessings friend!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

salons aree a no go with dreads

starting over would be the best option but we can go from here get the wax b gone and start removing it keep using it long after u think its gone

do not retwist do not go near a salon again

(unless you get a perverse throill out of shaking your natty dreads outside the woiindow and getting off on the dirty looks they give you)(\

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

If you order the recommended Wax B Gone, you can get a head start by using Dawn dish soap and hot water. You will be disgusted when you see the color of the water. Your scalp has to be clean, dry shampoo will never do this. If you don't have the money, use the baking soda wash/ apple cider vinegar rinse. You will only need $3 for these and can purchase from the grocery store. Mix 1/2 cup of baking soda (BS) with 5 cups of water and pour on head, leave on for 10-20 and rinse well. Now you need to balance your hairs PH from the BS, so mix 1-2 capfuls of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) with 5 cups of water and pour on head, rinse after 1 minute . You can finish off with a cold rinse. The BS & ACV will exfoliate the scalp without scrubbing, you just let it sit and do the job for you. Hope this helps. You are of mixed race, do you have African type hair?

Kyren Smoot said:

Thanks for all the info you guys gave.

Lol, she also told me to never ever get you hair wet even in the slightest.

One last thing though, I should be getting residue free shampoo right? I heard that it is also called dry shampoo.

Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
11 years ago
161 posts

you have twists man!! The recomended maintainence is different for people with twists. Typically they dont wansh their hair and they retiwst when they fall out after washes. You can do this if you want, but it is more likely to cause damage. You will still have dreads lol. How do you think most black people get long uniform dreads? by following what you she said.... It may be worth it for you to consider avoiding twisting and allow actual knotting because you are mixed like me. Our hair typcally has a harder time holding twists. however the curly nature of our hair lends itself well to natural methods like twist and rip or backcombing.

I would avoid the wax. I do know that it is common for people with twists to gel them to hold them together. YOu have to make a decision on the type of dreads you want and the method you want to use.

if you want uniform dreads twist, gel, dry, dont wash, repeat. (will only work if they actually will stay in.)
if you want more naturally formed dreads simply wash them and dont retwist.

I recommend the natural route. I love watchign the progress. I do wish i could maintain a neater look through the process but i dont care.

let me know if you have questions. you should always look at both points of view. This site is bad about bashing methods other than natural. and most people on this site do not have twisted dreads nor do they know anything about them other than the horror stories posted on this website. Although twisting can be damaging it will still give you dreads unless you over damage them. The decision is yours. you know the consequences of each route.

-Spencer

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
11 years ago
100 posts
Wassup man, your situation was mine to a T. Im mulatto n had my shit twisted as well. I was also unsure of what to do so i went to a hair dresser, got them twisted with wax n jamaican mango lime gel n didnt wash my hair for 2 months, i had to argue with my hair dresser to wash iy. When i used to come in, she would rub a thin comb in my scalp between the dreads n dry gel n wax flakes wouldcome flying out, that was my "wash". After i got the wax be gone i used it 5 times all the wax came out n my tips were still locking, i had no dreads at all really, but thar was when i saw my dreads actually lock up, u can see my progress in my page. I guess if u wanted to, you could also get the residue free locking gel from the same site as the wax be gone if you wanna keep them kind of neat, but you would not be twisting them hard, just lightly to keep the shape, that gel comes off with every wash. As far as shampoos go, i would suggest staying away (for now) from the bars, as they require more vigorous scrubbing, theyre for more mature dreads, the liquid helps ur hair lock n is a lot more gentle, allowing your dreads to keep their shape. Then just pat them dry, or light blowdry n air dry. Your hair should dread up mad quick, thats what happened to mine. Good luck homie, hope all this info helps.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form