Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

2 weeks now??

ash kerley
@ash-kerley
11 years ago
28 posts

Been 2 weeks sence i started,I backcomb some,Didnt want to damage more..I have lot loose hair and some doesnt feel backcomb at all..Im just going with the flow let things happen..From you guys in the pic did i start them off right,section etc? THanks for the sight been lot of help

updated by @ash-kerley: 01/13/15 09:49:28PM
ash kerley
@ash-kerley
11 years ago
28 posts

also, until they start laying down,When i go out im wanting to wear Something on my head bc they method i used..Is it safe to push them down wherever and wear a hat of somesort? without messing up the progress...

Marcellus Wallace
@marcellus-wallace
11 years ago
46 posts

Take out those rubberbands, I lost a couple dreads that way. Also not sure what you're going for, but those will end up being some thick-ass dreads. For the most part the dread will be as thick as the section once it matures. If that's what you're going for then your sections are fine, but they will probably try to redefine themselves over time because they're wild and fun like that. If you want skinnier dreads, resection it, you don't want to try and split them later.

ash kerley
@ash-kerley
11 years ago
28 posts

ok i was going to leave bands in for a month Then wash with the bs/acv to prevent falling out.. Some are thick but i have others are very thin at spots i was wanting differnt sizes,,Guessing bad idea?..Some doesnt feel backcomb at all,Guess over time they will come together, THanks for the help all new this way

Marcellus Wallace
@marcellus-wallace
11 years ago
46 posts

I would look into a wrap, or use beads. The elasticity of rubberbands causes a lot of stress on your scalp and actually pulls hair out. Also your locks must be a bit loose near the scalp so they have room to twist, entangle, and knot. This early in the process thickness doesn't mean much, they may become completely undone and retangle, the important thing is to not "reset" them by trying to "fix" them. But they dread from the scalp down so you need to give them that room to move.

ash kerley
@ash-kerley
11 years ago
28 posts

ok thanks man i aperciate the help, I plan on washing tonight and im going to remove the bands, just hoping i dont cause to much damage...About the hats, i hear about using wool, will acrylic hats/bands work? Trying to do something to shape them in form,,at the same time when i go out not to have these spikes going on....

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

They'll be a lot less spikey after the first wash, and they'll continue to settle down from then on. You can wear hats or tie them back, but keep them loose, and don't wear them all day everyday if you can help it; the more they move around, the more they'll dread. And don't worry about them coming loose or anything, it happens, but they dread again on their own. Backcombing can give a bit of a head-start, but often they'll just fall apart and re-dread on their own, and that's completely normal and nothing to worry about :)

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

The size of dreads depends on the size of the section where it meets the scalp. If you want fat dreads, then that's cool, but they take very long to dry and put pressure on the scalp due to the weight. If you don't want the fat congo dreads, then it is recommended that the scalp area section is no larger than 1" or a 25cent coin. Sections may look skinnier now, but as they mature they will become the width of the scalp area. If there is no wax in your hair, then yes, they will settle down, but yeah, take out anything restricting the root area. Dreads take time, they will loosen before they start the journey of locking up, so don't worry when this happens, it is their natural way. If you wash & separate any sections trying to join together, then you are doing fine and so are they.

Peace

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form