Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

FIRST POSITIVE COMMENT ON MY HAIR!!!

Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
11 years ago
172 posts

Just as i was waiting near my house for a friend i happened to get a positive comment from a random passerby whom i had never met before!!!! :D i am just over 5 months into natural dreadlocks and my hair is a real mess at the moment and to receive few words of appreciation from a random 'family' man ws nothing short of some serious motivation... he was jus staring n lookin at my hair while waiting for his bus n i thought he must be thinking of how lazy i am, how unkept my hair is, i dont wash, i m homeless n all those things that we all here have gone through perhaps.... but suddenly i heard him saying.... 'ur hair is god's gift'...

now that was truely unexpected and i just felt so much good after hearing that... perhaps it wasda first positive comment about my hair and the fact that it came from a random 'normal' middle- aged family guy who perhaps was on his way back from office meant a lot to me.. the past 5 months have been kinda mixed wth all kinds of negative as well as some positive opinions of family n frnds abt my hair.. but this one that i just mentioned made me feel so so good... im sure everyone here must have had their share of good and bad comments . would love to hear it. keep dreading every1 ! peace and cheers :)

updated by @ojas-acharya: 01/13/15 09:48:45PM
KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

thats pretty cool. i get complliments at parties alot.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

the 1 that meant the most to me was the 1 that shut my mom up

15 years of every convo we ever had mentioning cutting..15 years of everytime i glanced her way she mase scissor motions with her fingers.. 15 years of bribes and insults and negativity all ended in an instant

we were out xmass shopping in a mall when a group of 4 or 6 older ladies blue haired older women the youngest probly 70 all raTHER CONSERVATIVE LOOKING ALL SURROUND ME SAYING HOW THEWY HAD NEVER SEEN SUCH BEAUTIFUL HAIR IN THEIR LIVES All wanting to touch it etc and that momment made my mom realize she didnt have to be embarrased to be seen with me (1 of the constant hurtful comments i got) instead it was a possitive thing to be pe\roud of

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
11 years ago
172 posts

Wow man... im sure u must have got so much of negatives in ur 22 years....!! most of it i think comes only intially that too fromfamily lol. im sure u must have got tonnes of friendly comments in all these years. u are a true inspiration sir! respects. can i if u dont mind ask u how old u were when u started ur locks.. im currently 24 ryt now and i wana have dreads for i dunno.. maybe for ever..? :)

BeauZay
@beauzay
11 years ago
92 posts

That is awesome! and it truly is God's gift!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

A random comment does mean so much to us. The first year we may have days of discouragement when we see a reflection of ourselves in the mirror, window, etc and see what a mess our hair must look to others. They can't see what we envision 3 or 5 years from today. So Ojas, that means you are on your way to dreads, they were NOTICED !!... It only takes one positive vibe to turn it all around.... Congratulations on the happy feeling and on your journey.

Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
11 years ago
172 posts

Yes indeed barrellady, they are getting noticed these days which itself is an indication that theyr already on their way of knotting up! complements always help, even if they are few... they have much more energy as compared to criticisms. the encouragement we get with just 1 complement is more than the discouragement caused by 10 criticisms.
the Barrellady said:

A random comment does mean so much to us. The first year we may have days of discouragement when we see a reflection of ourselves in the mirror, window, etc and see what a mess our hair must look to others. They can't see what we envision 3 or 5 years from today. So Ojas, that means you are on your way to dreads, they were NOTICED !!... It only takes one positive vibe to turn it all around.... Congratulations on the happy feeling and on your journey.

Jatadhari
@jatadhari
11 years ago
1 posts

shambhoonath ki jata hai dost! all the best!

Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
11 years ago
172 posts

Thanx jatadhari ! love ur dreads. wanna get them nice long and tangled haha. Bholenath sab ke sath !

Jatadhari said:

shambhoonath ki jata hai dost! all the best!

melanie rose
@melanie-rose
11 years ago
177 posts
The first comment coming from a stranger really stuck with me as well. It's such an amazing feeling when you think you just look like a mess, and in reality the changes are quite beautiful and noticeable to those around us. I was listening to some live music about 5 weeks after neglecting my hair, in a rather large crowd, a guy sort of yelled, "awesome dreads" I just stared for a minute and pointed to myself, confused. I really didn't think it was noticeable at all. Ah the simple pleasures of letting go :]
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form