Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I swear by Water.

Marlee Skye
@marlee-skye
11 years ago
50 posts

I had my first set of dreads for 2 yrs and some odd months. They were to my mid-back.
I have now, had my second set of dreads for almost 4 months and there a few inches shy of my shoulders.

I definitly was more "anal" shall i put it ? lol.. about my first set. I palmed them pretty regularly for the first 6 months.. and than off and on up to the first year.

ANYWHO.

I swear by WATER.

The first set, i only washed prolly 3/4 times week EVENTUALLY.I couldnt tell you how little i washed them the first few months prolly 1/3 week.
I know i didnt wash them at all for like first 3/4 weeks though.

The second set, I washed on the 5th day, and I've been washing regularly ever since (only half the time with soap/shampoo whatever...) Ive had my dreads, this current/short set for almost 4 months now and Ive prolly washed them a good 5 or 6 times a week from the get-go, and I think its the biggest thing Ive noticed from having either sets thus far. Is my use of water, I wash my hair so much more. And to me, thinking about it.. It makes sense.. the water gets in there, loosens up all those lil itty bitty knots where they feel like they want to loosen, and as they dry they shrink and lay back to where they feel natural to do so. Although both sets of mine were backcombed in I do believe this set will be very natural looking and who knows maybe after so many years people wont be able to tell they were backcombed my first set, that would be so.. but this time around they have many many more knots and lops and bulges some on tops of others lol:) but i love it.. and I just wanted to share my personal knowledge that ive gained from having either sets thus far !! :)

Sorry If I ramble and jump around, I was never a great writer lol.

updated by @marlee-skye: 01/13/15 09:48:43PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Are you washing 5 or 6 times a week? That is too much, I think that your sections will start to mold being damp that often. For washing: 2 or 3 times a week in the beginning, and now you are at your 4th month so probably 2 times a week.

Happy you like this set better. Peace

Marlee Skye
@marlee-skye
11 years ago
50 posts

I think you just have to find a balance with your own Dreads, I think its important for them to dry properly and to always be able to breath. yeah i wash my hair 5-6 times a week, and I have zero issues with my scalp, smell, dampness, build up etc. So I do see how as my dreads change and mature over the years how my washing will probably become less frequent but thus far, I still feel it has everything to do with helping them maturing faster this time around

Marlee Skye
@marlee-skye
11 years ago
50 posts

my hair prolly dries in about 2-3 hrs max, i only blow dry( and only on cool ) if i shower in evenings, or if i feel they will take too long to dry because its cold out or im throwing them up, or whatever various reasons..

Marlee Skye
@marlee-skye
11 years ago
50 posts

Well. To be honest. I cut them shoulder length and combed them out. My boyfriend at the time was really bothered by the fact that my previous lover helped me put them in, and that they were back-combed and "fashion dreads" ... Im glad though, looking back.. there was a lot of negativity in that year following and in that relationship, im glad i broke free.. and Im glad to have started my second set free of all that. <3 lifes a journey isnt it? :)

And i do like this set better, because of my journey past few yrs, etc they are even more spiritual and meaningful to me this second time around, i still chose to backcomb, for even more reasons than one normally would because i let someone else convince me into removing them because of HIS feelings about my dreads, instead of listening to my own heart and my own soul about my own hair.. ! love how much more natural this set is forming, much more character.. i miss my length at times but all in due time :)
Marlee Skye
@marlee-skye
11 years ago
50 posts

:)

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

There is a basic recipe for dreadlock care....But, each individual will experiment and do what works for those dreads and scalp and whatever.... Dreadlocks are individual and one single recipe for care does not apply... Sure dreads can get mildew, hair can get all sorts of things in it, but each individual will find their own way. You can most certainly wet your hair everyday, it just needs to dry. I had some dreadlocks for ten years and the way I did it is not going to be right for anyone else. The basic thing of, keep them clean, let them dry does apply. But, saying you must do this or that is too specific, in my opinion. Wash with no-residue shampoo, make sure they dry, keep the sections separate, that is about it.

the Barrellady said:

Are you washing 5 or 6 times a week? That is too much, I think that your sections will start to mold being damp that often. For washing: 2 or 3 times a week in the beginning, and now you are at your 4th month so probably 2 times a week.

Happy you like this set better. Peace

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

We learn something new all the time. Thanks Tim & Amanda. It makes sense that if the dreads dry completely, then mold won't happen. I was thinking that the thicker sections might stay slightly damp, but dry is dry. Being a smoker, it is good to know that I can rinse two days in a row if needed :)

Peace

Tim said:

. You can most certainly wet your hair everyday, it just needs to dry. I had some dreadlocks for ten years and the way I did it is not going to be right for anyone else. The basic thing of, keep them clean, let them dry does apply.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form