Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Separating sucks...

Diego F.
@diego-f
11 years ago
73 posts

Well... i hate to separate... and i'm not too gentle when i have to do it [nearly everyday]...

I don't let them congo too much [most of my dreads are very skinny] because i had a big pain on the mark of the five months and i had to rip nearly all my sections because it was hurting my scalp, and for now i prefer thinner dreads...

i want to know if it's normal to have to separate more when the dreads are short... i have short dreads, and most of them shrank to 1-3 inches, and everyday i find hair connecting my dreads...

when they grow will it be more easier to separate?

is there something i can do to prevent the roots joining everyday?

updated by @diego-f: 11/15/15 11:57:09AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

most ppl can seperare weekly

it gets less as they mature

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Separating does suck at times, but absolutely necessary to keep up on it. Some of us need to separate more than others, and that sucks too. I find the easiest way is when I am watching the t.v. Sit back and close your eyes, then feel around the sections and slowly start separating. By closing my eyes, my fingers are able to see, if that makes sense.

There is nothing that can prevent them from joining everyday... just time...down the road you will not be doing it as much.

Peace

Patience
@patience
11 years ago
51 posts

It is a bit of a pain isn't it! I separate every day at the moment as otherwise the two biggest frizz patches just swallow up the nearby baby dreads and if I leave it it's a struggle to rip them out again. I have to use a mirror because lots of the babies aren't well enough defined to feel yet - they're like loose hair but with an inch or two dreading a bit - and they're so fragile that if I pull loopy ones from the bottom it straightens out their loops - aaaaargh!!!!

I'm really looking forward to when I can separate less.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

I found that once I hit the four month mark and started using good quality bar soap on my head that I only had to separate every time I washed. Actually, that night or the next day. Separating wet locks really hurts tender scalp.

I know it's nuts but I've actually found that when I get in those sticky situations with a few hairs that just wont pull out because they're wound around in there so deeply, cutting them actually works better than traumatizing my hair. I cut as close to the lock as possible and leave the encroaching hairs as long as possible. They'll grow out and form their own lock eventually or join up with a nearby buddy.

Last month I cut nearly a dozen locks apart because of their shenanigans. Those pesky hairs are growing back and it'll be ok. Separating does suck sometimes but if you gotta chop then I say go for it. Give your babies a good chance to mature without being aggravated by hairs that don't belong in them.

ღHippie Loveღ
@hippie-love
11 years ago
80 posts

I'm 14 weeks into dreading my third set and as they mature the less you'll have to separate them.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

..... and that's when I usually bring out the scissors, Noodle-Doo. lol I have a REALLY tender scalp. There's some hairs and even clumps of hairs that get jammed and wound around so deep in locks even after one or two days that there's just no way to get them out without breaking the hair. So after trying a few times I just grab the scissors. I don't bring myself to tears anymore.

and YES! Isn't it crazy how strong even micro-dreads are??? Amazing... really, just amazing... They're like, filler locks. I love em.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form