Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

!!ARGH!!HELP!!

Renee L Mullenax
@renee-l-mullenax
11 years ago
8 posts

ok...so I started my dreads yesterday and I am halfway done. Only thing is...everybody else that I see with dreads looks like they have a full head of locks--you can't see their scalp. Right now I look like a crack-ho LOL there is a lot of space between my dreads and it looks terrible...I'm scared to finish them if they're going to stay this way. What I'm wondering is this: When they lock up and they kind of relax, will they look fuller? Will I still be able to see all that space in between them? I can't really go back and do more dreads than I have in that space because my hair is very fine and I've already got them pretty small, if I tried to make them smaller so that there would be more of them then they'd have to be as tiny as micro braids :/ Help!

updated by @renee-l-mullenax: 02/14/15 08:43:59AM
Patience
@patience
11 years ago
51 posts

Are you backcombing or tnr?I'd guess you've been pulling them too tight at the roots and it would be better to put the rest in more loosely. The ones you've already done should loosen up over time, with washing and your hair will grow so don't worry that you'll always have the lines showing!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Also, how big are the sections? The locks may be the size you want, but that means the sections re to big. They will be massive, probably. Locks tend to be much thinner when they are babies, than they end up when mature. From what it sounds like, your sections are too big along with them being too tight

jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
11 years ago
175 posts

well mine were sorta like u described for about 2months then fluffed out and snarled up check me time line this wat u can expect coming soon all normal. i do agree with baba he knows wat hes tlking bout lol never hesitate to ask questions an d such always here to help:) no maintence! trust us they will do wat they will and be awesome too:) time an love peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

like everyone said your probly making the sections too big and im guessing u maybe used crochet wich was a very bad idea

why not lwt them dread natuarly the natural sections would work oit way better

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Renee L Mullenax
@renee-l-mullenax
11 years ago
8 posts

They feel loose, even at the roots. I used TnR & the 1st inch at the roots feels loose plus the last inch at the tips. I really didn't do it very tight, I don't think. I think I might have made the sections too big after all:( ...Heres a pic...

Renee L Mullenax
@renee-l-mullenax
11 years ago
8 posts

I didn't do crochet. only TnR & I don't want my hair to look nappy for a year to do it the natural way. No offense to those that do it natural, its just not my cup o' tea :/

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

its gonna look crazy foer a year no matter what

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

the top rows the only ones ui can see clearly enough but each 1 could be 4 dreads easily

thats 4 dreads and still be medium sized ..lil on the thinner side

--
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi there. With the twist & rip method, the ideal way is to let your hair section naturally for a couple of weeks first. It will tell you how it wants to separate. These are the sections you should use. Naturally separated hair does not section into straight lines or grid lines, it is all random. No section should be larger than 1 inch/ 25 cent coin. With thin hair you may want the section at the root smaller than that.

When the hair is loosely twist&ripped, it will appear skinnier than the mature dread will be. The mature dread will become the thickness of your root section, it slowly feeds its way up and becomes thicker. Never twist tight, do not re-twist any coming undone. Twist & rip is just a blueprint, not an actual dread, they need to loosen, sometimes even coming out, so that they can do their looping, zig-zagging, and shrinking. They will also frizz in the early stages.

I know it takes a long time to do the sections, but I would start over and let the hair naturally separate. Some of your sections are too big, I would take everything out since you just did them, and let the hair naturally form its sections. Still divide any large sections. You will have a natural map to your dreads this way. :) Peace

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form