Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Trim loose hair on the body of the dreads?

petros kefallinos
@petros-kefallinos
11 years ago
6 posts

hello! i love the thickness of my dreads and i don't want them more thick or tighter because the way they are is just fine for me,the problem is that i still have loose hair on the body of my dreads and i don't want to stick them in there because theoretically it will make them thicker and tighter.

Can i just trim those hair that stick out of the main body of my dreads? They are NOT near the skull its just on the dread,if i do will it make my dreads spiky and itchy ? or cause any other problems i might haven't though of on my dreads?

this is how they look

thank you everyone! i am waiting for your advice before i do anything on my lovelies! :)

updated by @petros-kefallinos: 01/13/15 09:48:17PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

That hair will get matted down and pulled into the lock in due time. It won't make them any thicker. There isn't enough hair to do that.

The thing is, every single set of locks you will ever see in your whole like has loose hairs like that around the locks. It's not very noticeable, if at all, to anyone who looks at you from a normal distance. You only really notice it because you see your locks from inches away, instead of feet.

Even if you were to trim off that hair, more would just just pop out over time. Would you trim that off too? Those hairs are still tangled within the body of the lock. if you trimmed it, it would kind of be like cutting off your forearm because your arms are too long, but expecting your hands tomiraculously still be attached to you.

OK, I know that's a bit of an overexaggeration, but, the idea holds true. Cutting 1 hair off won't damage your locks. But to go about and trim every single one, attempting to make your locks look like perfectcylinders, will do a lot to weaken your hair. And when new loose hairs pop out, cutting those off, too, will only weaken your locks more and more. If you kept trimming to frizzies off, you'd eventually have no locks to trim.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

hwte to tell u this but u crochetted

thats a exteemely bad idea crochet is very desterutive u bri[oke thousands of hairs

every dread has hairs sticking out..and always will

but aftyer u crochet irs going to get 100 times worse during recovery

leave them alone!

now i hate to tell u this too but crochet makes them wayyyyy too tight to dread right

so its going to take 6 months or more before thwy even begin to dread right

and that makesthenm 1/3 the thickness of a healthy dread

so they are going to get thicker when they recover

alot thicker

throw that hook away! your only destroying yoir dreads with i\t

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Such a shame when people who want dreads are unaware of the crochet damage to hair. Instead of long, continuous strands of hair joining together, those sections have broken pieces of hair the entire length of it. As the guys said, they will recover in time. If you want your dreads for life, please have the patience to wait for your hair to repair on its own. The the slow little sticking out hair feeding frenzy begin.

petros kefallinos
@petros-kefallinos
11 years ago
6 posts

i actually didnt created my dreads with crochet but i didnt knew how to explain it.i went to that lady from kenya witch i know for years and she did them to me with a method that she used thread and needle in order to dread them.. but i did all the repairs on my own with the crochet needle if i knew about all these things i woudnt use it but i have BIG issue in using ANY material like wax on my hair and i assumed its the only way to repair them.. anyway now its done.... thank you everyone for your help and your welcoming to the blog you guys are amazing! :)

To the point:

so if i actually trim those loose hair and the other that will come out and the other my dreads will become thinner in time? can i do that in some specific ones that are a bit thick and i dont like them so much?

i care mostly about the softness,itchiness and spikyness :P

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

they are going to be scratchy and itchy awhile frokm all the crochet damafe

and all the needle and thread stuff i dunno what she even did but it wasnt smart

u dont have to repair them

and do not cut them off

just stop everything your doing andleave em alone!

dreads need nothing no wax no crochet no rollup[ing or rubbing

just leave em aklone

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

these are all a result of doing nothing

they werent started with any method

they used no products

they wernt maintained or "fixed"