Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Extensions! Help!

Abbigirl
@abbigirl
11 years ago
14 posts

Okay guys, my dreadies are turning a year old in about 2 weeks! I'm pretty excited. I'm also very excited because festival season is almost upon us! This summer I don't have a job where I have restrictions on my hair so I really want to add some colorful extensions to the ends of my dreads for fun for the summer. I know its not "natural" and whatnot and that is not my concern here. I am wondering if any of you have experience trying to take extensions out? I really just want them for the summer, and I'm wondering if there is a way I can sort of loosely sew them on or crochet them a bit in a way that won't destroy my ends if I want to take them out VERY carefully and slowly. My other option would be to cut most of them out and just leave the ends of my hair colorful or something. Is there no hope for this dream of mine? Tell me about your extension experiences!

updated by @abbigirl: 01/13/15 09:48:10PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

dont bother instead do hair wraps the fancy knotted macreme type and extend those beyond the ends of the dreads

then u just remove em when u dont want em..no harm done at all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
James Colby Justice
@james-colby-justice
11 years ago
75 posts

A friend of mine put extensions in his dreads made of real human hair. It was more of a sentimental or ritualistic thin rather than to just lengthen his dreads. A girl he knew shaved her head to defy westernsociety's standards for women and he justrolled her hair on into his to sort of commemorate it. Something like that is teh only reason I would ever put extensions in, butthats a little off subject. If I were you I would use real hair for extensions and possibly dye it before putting it in? I don't know though... Just have fun with it!

James Colby Justice
@james-colby-justice
11 years ago
75 posts

I should probably add that his (my friend) dreads are mostly natural....

Κύριε Ελέησόν
@κύριε-ελέησόν
11 years ago
92 posts
You can try wool extensions. There are tons of tutorials on YouTube explaining how to make them. Then you could just them in.
Κύριε Ελέησόν
@κύριε-ελέησόν
11 years ago
92 posts
*tie them in.
Heather Feather
@heather-feather
11 years ago
21 posts
You can color them with art pastels and it stays in for a couple days :)
Kat5
@kat5
11 years ago
9 posts

Extensions are horrible on you hair if your not locking it, they are even worse when you are. To remove them, you either have to heat the wax/tar that seals them in, or cut them out. trying to pull them out would rip your hair at the root. I would say Soaring Eagle is right on the money for theextensionsand Heather Feather is more on it with the art pastels. I would look into a food grade dye (for food) and try soaking your locks in that for pops of color

Patience
@patience
11 years ago
51 posts

I'd agree wrapping would be best. For greater coverage how about wrapping or braiding with ribbons? It would be quick to put in and you could take them out to wash and dry your hair and use a different colour next time.

I'm not sure about dyeing hair with food colours - it's pretty permanent when you dye wool with them but you don't wash wool so often or with such strong soaps!

Kristina P
@kristina-p
11 years ago
14 posts

The wrapping sounds good, does anyone have a tutorial of that? I'd like a few of mine wrapped longer and would love some temporary color!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form