Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadlocks and Dandruff!

beckbeck
@beckbeck
11 years ago
32 posts

ok. wanted to know what you guys do! how do you prevent dandruff, what to you do to stop it when you have it, and most of all, how do you get the existing flakes out of your dreads? i had this problem years ago, and now i have re attached my dreads, i would like to know what to do before it happens again!

updated by @beckbeck: 01/13/15 09:48:00PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Are you washing with baking soda at all, or what are you using? At the end of your shower are you rinsing your head with as cold water as you can take?, that will help if you do this each time.

At the top of the site is the dreaducation tab, click that & then click the dread maintenance. There is a section on how to clean dreads. At the bottom is how to cleanse cleanse, click that one for your info.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

The ratio for regular washing is .24 liters of baking soda to 1.18 liters water. Mix well in a jug and pour all over scalp. Now grab a book & sit in the tub to read. That's gonna sit on your head for 20 minutes. You can add drops of rosemary, peppermint, and tea tree essential oils to help, just add to the baking soda wash. After the 20 minutes, rinse out really, really well. Then pour on a mixture of apple cider vinegar & water, the ratio is 1-2 capfulls of ACV to 1.18 liter water. Leave this on for only 1-2 minutes & rinse well. The ACV balances the PH in the hair and conditions it. Finish your shower with a cold rinse :)

Fingertips
@fingertips
11 years ago
1 posts
What exactly do you mean by reattached your dreads that almost sounds like a hair extension situation
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

BeckBeck has attached some extensions to her 4" hair to cover up some of the bald patches she has. She had dreads for 4 years, then cut them off 6 months ago and has now reattached some of her own dreads.

Fingertips said:

What exactly do you mean by reattached your dreads that almost sounds like a hair extension situation
beckbeck
@beckbeck
11 years ago
32 posts

yep, cut them off and just re attached them, they're doing really well to my surprise, but i have to go through all that scalp moodyness all over again until my head gets used to them again. just wanting to be sure that i can prevent dandruff / make it go away if it does happen during the settling period! :) (I have almost black hair, so dandruff would be incredibly noticeable andembarrassing!!

the Barrellady said:

BeckBeck has attached some extensions to her 4" hair to cover up some of the bald patches she has. She had dreads for 4 years, then cut them off 6 months ago and has now reattached some of her own dreads.

Fingertips said:

beckbeck
@beckbeck
11 years ago
32 posts

what would y'all suggest for removing / hiding the existing flakes? I havedarkhair so they stand out when they appear. then they get tangled into the dread and stay there.. anyone know of any secrets I don;t knwo about? is there a method of ridding your dreads of pre existing flakes? <3 <3

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

the baking soda mix turns tghe dead dry skin into a siorta paste that washes out

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
beckbeck
@beckbeck
11 years ago
32 posts

awesome! thank you, oh mighty dreadlock wizard <3

soaring eagle said:

the baking soda mix turns tghe dead dry skin into a siorta paste that washes out

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form