Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

3 year old dreads, need a little help

Katie3
@katie3
11 years ago
12 posts

Hey, I have three year old dreadlocks. I have very thin fine hair, I am Caucasian. I understand there will be loose hair, this does not bother me. I have tried to go as natural as possible. My hair is a little below my shoulders now. I have these long strands of hair that are not part of the dread and are just growing beside the dreads. They do not get tangled into the dread and do not dread themselves. Some places I have chunks of hair, I cannot gather them all together because they are not in the same section and if they were a dread they would pull on my scalp. The top of my head has long loose hairs around each dread. The problem is I can never style my dreads because of all the loose hair. It makes my dreads not defined on the top of my head, so if I pull my hair back(say to put in bun) It looks like I have no dreads on the top of my head and it is just a bunch of wild loose hair. What are my options here? If did crochet just once to get all this hair in would it do any good? Is there anything else I can do?

updated by @katie3: 01/13/15 09:47:57PM
Doogie
@doogie
11 years ago
321 posts

That loose hair will either get sucked into another dread or will form a new one eventually. Leave it alone or if you're so concerned about it put it in another lock by adding a bead and that'll get it started. I started a few congos that way cause I wanted to add a few fat ones. I have very thin hair, balding on top and my hair is still very short and differs in length with a lot of loose hair but I'm not concered about it at all besides my bald spot from time to time but nothing i can do about it. I'm just letting things do what the want to do and I'm 16mths in.

Doogie
@doogie
11 years ago
321 posts

Just remember that everyone hair is different and dreads different. I've notice that when ppl hear "dreads" they think of Bob Marleys' but everyone won't have dreads like Marley!

Heather Feather
@heather-feather
11 years ago
21 posts

maybe try braiding the loose hair?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

do not crochet! bad idea

ok what are u washing with what have you v=been doing all along do u wear em in a bun alot etc

how are u drying etc

full details if we find why they arent dreding u can just stoo that and they will

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ixchel
@ixchel
11 years ago
597 posts

wraps or beads to help coax the loose hair into a nearby dread or the dreadlockshampoo.com locking gel. maybe even sea salt spray may help them just getting bumped into doing something. other than that just more time!

Katie3
@katie3
11 years ago
12 posts

I have a natural bar soap I wash them with and then about once a month I do a deep clean with baking soda. The loose hairs have been this way for over a year, If they were going to dread they would have by now. I have used many different soaps all natural soaps that were residue free and for a while just used baking soda. I wrap in a towel for a little while then I let them air dry. I wear my hair down or pull it back most of the time.

Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
I've had a couple sections of loose hair for almost a year an a half that haven't dreaded or joined in other dreads. I have the same problem with my hair sometimes not looking like it's dreaded. People ask 'are you trying to dread your hair?' 'Are you starting dreads?' And 'do you have dreads?' Especially when my hair is pulled up. Honesty, I don't worry about it anymore. Two little sections are just now starting to tangle a bit, it's the usual two steps forward, three steps back with them. It'll happen when they are ready. You can try using a bead to trap some loose bits with an established dread, or a wrap. Or you can let it go, be patient and not worry so much about it. It's perfectly normal to have all that loose hair.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form