dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Semi-mature dreads feeling softer

Arden Tenjou
@arden-tenjou
11 years ago
5 posts

Hi there.

I've been dreading for about a year and a half, and I thought I had a good system going. They always felt great after I washed them, and especially after palm rolling or using hair tonic. But lately they feel really loose and fuzzy and I don't understand why. They also feel quite dry.

Am I doing something wrong? Maybe washing too much, or not enough? I've always been taught not to use wax, but should I try it? Any opinions appreciated.

Arden

updated by @arden-tenjou: 02/14/15 09:43:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

no wax jhust stop using lemon juice stop using any tonic and stop palm rolling..was and seperate thats it

the lemon juice dissolves the core of the hair shaft weakening the hair and palm rolling does nothing helpful only harm

wax would be the death of them

jusy t stop doing what yoir doing

what are u washing with and how often

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Arden Tenjou
@arden-tenjou
11 years ago
5 posts

Thank you for your quick reply!

I use Squeaky Green from Lush, and I wash every few days, just whenever they feel greasy. I like it because it seems to be the only shampoo that gets the greasy feeling out, and my dreads feel tighter after I wash them.

What if I remove the lemon juice from the tonic, so it was just rosemary and salt?

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Probably the palm rolling is breaking the hairs all over, so now all those little hairs are popping/sticking out and gives it the fuzzy look.

What is tonic? Is it tonic water as in a gin & tonic?

Arden Tenjou
@arden-tenjou
11 years ago
5 posts

No, I just put water in a spray bottle, then maybe half a teaspoon of salt, 10 or so drops of rosemary essential oil and a couple of squirts of lemon juice. But I believe soaring eagle about the lemon juice so I'll cut it out!

You're probably right about the palm rolling, so I'll knock that off too. Should I do anything else to keep them tight?

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Heather on this site recommends the bar Seanik from LUSH if you want their products. It is for mature & dry hair/dreads. I am going at the end of this week for that one, and for another she recommended for baby & oily locs called Jumping Juniper. Send Heather a message and ask her how your bar is for dreads, she has probably tried them all.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

thats fine tho the salt will still dry em out so should be uneacary in mature dreads except when you over condition for awhile and they get too muych loi9seness at the scalp

u certainly dont need salt often at all

just leave out the lemon and stop palm rolling and see if that doesnt help

the squeeky green a few have used successfully but not sure its the best the www.dreadlockshampoo.com soaps are really the best u can get

so maybe rry those for a month or so and see

i think most lilely stopping the palm rolling and lemon will do the trick

Arden Tenjou said:

I use Squeaky Green from Lush, and I wash every few days, just whenever they feel greasy. I like it because it seems to be the only shampoo that gets the greasy feeling out, and my dreads feel tighter after I wash them.

What if I remove the lemon juice from the tonic, so it was just rosemary and salt?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Arden Tenjou
@arden-tenjou
11 years ago
5 posts

Thank you!

soaring eagle said:

thats fine tho the salt will still dry em out so should be uneacary in mature dreads except when you over condition for awhile and they get too muych loi9seness at the scalp

the squeeky green a few have used successfully but not sure its the best the www.dreadlockshampoo.com soaps are really the best u can get

Arden Tenjou said:

Arden Tenjou
@arden-tenjou
11 years ago
5 posts

Thanks for the tip! I've actually heard the same thing, I just like Squeaky Green so I kept using it. I'll try that!

the Barrellady said:

Heather on this site recommends the bar Seanik from LUSH if you want their products. It is for mature & dry hair/dreads. I am going at the end of this week for that one, and for another she recommended for baby & oily locs called Jumping Juniper. Send Heather a message and ask her how your bar is for dreads, she has probably tried them all.

Mikhail Ceballo
@mikhail-ceballo
11 years ago
20 posts

SE would you recommend the bar or liquid shampoo from that site? Specifically for someone who is just started their dreads.

soaring eagle said:

Arden Tenjou said:

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form