Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreads in the Wild

Nolan Plank
@nolan-plank
11 years ago
66 posts
Hey all. So my question is: could someone live totally off grid, in the woods/mountains/wherever, and still have dreadlocks?I know that there are Rastafarians and Maroons who live in the mountains of the caribbean and have large dreadlocks.It's been a dream of mine for some time now to make a life for myself living completely off grid. Hypothetically, could I still have healthy dreads and do this?Also, I know of the Mau Mau resistance fighters in kenya. They went into the mountains while fighting the colonial british, and while in the mountains there dreadlocks developed, due to being on the run and hiding and your hairstyle isn't really that important in that sort of situation I guess hahaha.I can see problems with separating and cleaning if you didn't have mirrors or shampoos (although the world is ripe with herbs i.e. rosemary, sage, etc. etc.)Thanks!
updated by @nolan-plank: 02/14/15 07:57:40AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

ofcourse its possible i have never used a mirror to seperate..or for anything i dont have 1 i use shafows if i use anything

when in the wilderness i clean with mud i get covered in mud then jump in a muddy river to wash off the mud

but thats pure wilderness living most off the grid have running water of sorts and acfess to stuff to wash with even if they make it themselves

in the wild u dont mind smelling like the fi=orrest so fire keeps bugs away mud keeps skin in good shape water when themuds too thick or heavy etc

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
emilio gonzalez
@emilio-gonzalez
11 years ago
32 posts

probley would be optimal conditons for dreads, id say.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Cavemen had dreads. No shampooing, nor mirrors, no nothing... but dreads.

Marissa Victoria
@marissa-victoria
11 years ago
34 posts

Hey there!! Your post caught my attention because I DO live off-grid in the mountains. Even though it's considered off-grid, grid-line free, we still generate power. We have a propane generator and get our water off of the stream that runs along our house. It's truly bliss. My boyfriend has pretty close to mature dreads mine are well on their way. Living off grid doesn't mean you don't get to shower or get clean. Our house is fully plumbed from the stream with excellent water pressure due to the gravity!! We use Dr. Bronners, and a towel just like the rest. :P I would definitely recommend finding a place in the mountains. We aren't the only ones, there are neighbors. And peace. Cleaner air. More wildlife. In one night we encounterd a turkey, rabbit, frog, wolf spider, skunk, deer, fox, mice, squirrels lol anddd theres bob cats and mountain lions that we thankfully haven't come accross yet. Even though we live where we live, we do also have a social life in the cities and get out. Which reinforces the amazing feeling of coming home to our what feels like a vacation home!! It's truly the way to live. Not to mention my amazing garden that's coming along, and the coi pond I'm putting in for aquaponics!

Anything is possible.

:)

Peace&Love

melanie rose
@melanie-rose
11 years ago
177 posts
Of course :] you could still seperate just fine, and take Billy baths. I actually lived in the Carolina mountains for some time and since I didn't think about my hair whatsoever, it dreaded. I was young and didn't know how to care for them, but still, it happened.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

i want to live with you!

your boyfreind dont gotta worry its not like that i just wanna live there thats all :)

Marissa Victoria said:

Hey there!! Your post caught my attention because I DO live off-grid in the mountains. Even though it's considered off-grid, grid-line free, we still generate power. We have a propane generator and get our water off of the stream that runs along our house. It's truly bliss. My boyfriend has pretty close to mature dreads mine are well on their way. Living off grid doesn't mean you don't get to shower or get clean. Our house is fully plumbed from the stream with excellent water pressure due to the gravity!! We use Dr. Bronners, and a towel just like the rest. :P I would definitely recommend finding a place in the mountains. We aren't the only ones, there are neighbors. And peace. Cleaner air. More wildlife. In one night we encounterd a turkey, rabbit, frog, wolf spider, skunk, deer, fox, mice, squirrels lol anddd theres bob cats and mountain lions that we thankfully haven't come accross yet. Even though we live where we live, we do also have a social life in the cities and get out. Which reinforces the amazing feeling of coming home to our what feels like a vacation home!! It's truly the way to live. Not to mention my amazing garden that's coming along, and the coi pond I'm putting in for aquaponics!

Anything is possible.

:)

Peace&Love

--
Marissa Victoria
@marissa-victoria
11 years ago
34 posts

Lol SE there are mannnny more places like this ! :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

oh i know it

theres a documentary called off the grid about the mesa outside taos nm a good freinds the 1 that started the mesa i believe and i know of many many many others i just need to get my ass somewhere i love livin

--
Marissa Victoria
@marissa-victoria
11 years ago
34 posts

Lol it's been super interesting living off grid. Going from an urban area with everything at the touch of a button to a House in the redwoods going back to the basics. lol and I couldn't love it more!! Made me realize how much people are dependent on all this new technology. But, if there's a power outage, I could be good lol. Were trying to figure out a water turbine for water energy. We also looked into wind millls, but theres not enough wind. Theres also a way to run a generator off wood chips!! These alternative forms of energy would be revolutionary, and sustainable, and natural... Sure it's easy to go pay a pg&e bill butttt, the gratification from figuring out how energy works and like putting yourself to use is SOAWESOME. Where are you located?? I'm in the surrounding mountains of Santa Cruz and it's amazing, I would suggest checkin it out if you haven't already!

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form