Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Advice??

Skyee Sun
@skyee-sun
11 years ago
1 posts

I want dreads and i have really curly thick hair, i would like to have them long to my waist so i would need extensions, i want my dreads where there not to thick, and i want the really full dreads where there not loose, how would i do this? and how would i attach the extensions? ill attach pictures of how i would like them..

updated by @skyee-sun: 01/13/15 09:46:51PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

just let em dread dont get extentions u will hate em

dreads grow they will get to your waist..themn your toers

dreads are a commitment you dont make fake dreads to your waist in a day you let real dreads grow to your waist..

they tighten over time forced tightening is extremely damaging

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

The second photo is not dreads. Her hair was just twisted and a lot of hairspray was used to make a " temporary dread style". The first photo looks like it was possibly back combed. healthy dreads are not something that can be made. They grow and knot over time. It takes up to a year or longer before it is mature.

You can use a starter method like back combing or TnR. and have a bit of control over the thickness of the dread. Rule of thumb...dread will fatten up and be about as thick as the section.

As for extensions..I get the creeps just thinking about them. It is someone else's hair!!!!! you don't have a clue where it came from.. or what kind of person they are. If you attach their hair to your head you are carrying around THEIR energy. Right now in theCaribbean people with dreads are getting assaulted and having their hair cut offso that it can be sold to people like you that want instant long hair.

Or your can use the synthetic extensions..but they are plastic..who wants plastic hair?

Dreads are so special because they are all unique. They are a process that takes time and patience. Please search through the site. There is lots of information on all the different starter methods. But remember these are starter methods....they will not look like or be mature dreads for at least a year

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Skylee. You are living the hippie lifestyle, so why the rush then for long dreads? Hippies are free spirited, and laid back, and dreads should be too. Instead of being rushed and wanting them today, give yourself a 5 year goal on how you want your natural, free form dreads to look. In five years you can look back at your journey and go wow..Each bump, inch and strand will hold your past, your stories & history. Dreads you grow will be a huge part of you, you'll appreciate them for what they are.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

see thats why barrellady is the newest dread guru

thats so right dreads arent a style u staple on then run around saying look at me im a dready they grow from within you they arent rushed they are nurtured into existence..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Hannah2
@hannah2
11 years ago
8 posts

focus less on what they are going to look like. dreads are never going to be immediate, its a long journey for the kind of image you have set in your mind.

i've spoken to people with extensions and they really regretted putting them in.. even the people who had sewn their friends cut dreads into their hair. why would you want something that isn't essentially you? taye is completely right about the energy!

melanie rose
@melanie-rose
11 years ago
177 posts
Unfortunately, your gonna have loose hairs. Its inevitable unless you want to maontain/damage your locs.. even then you end up causing breakage and more loose hairs. Its a vicious circle, one you don't wanna be part of!I've got thick curls too, and speaking from experience your gonna lose alot alot alottt of length. But it will start to grow again around a yr or whenever mature. Embrace it! I promise you it will grow eventually. Patience is key during this journey.As for extensions, everyone pretty much covered it.. do you really want foreign objects hanging from your head? Rubbing against your face when you sleep? Grodyyy
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form