Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My dread story so far.

Lindi
@lindi
11 years ago
5 posts

So I used to come to this site now and then just for dread advice and today I decided to actually join! So I've had a ton going on in my life for the past few years. A lot of ups and downs and what not. One day I just kind of thought of the idea of getting with dreads. I really didn't know anything about them at the time but I knew I wanted them. I had no perception of the spirituality of them or anything. I grew up in the city but now I live in rural Maine, where I'm one of the very few people of color in my area. I asked my friends whether or not I should get dreads, and many people were all for it. There were a few that were skeptical about it because of the assumption that dreadlocks are dirty. Nevertheless, I had my friend go on Youtube and learn all she could about how to make dreadlocks. She discovered twisting and ripping and backcombing. So over spring break, that's what she did. We did it all in one sitting, and it took about 10 hours to dread my long, coarse hair. I did somecrocheting and palm rolling the first few months and then after that, I just let them be. I still have my struggles, but in general, ever since I got dreads I've felt a lot more free-spirited and positive. I get compliments everywhere I go, and it makes me feel amazing. Even though I didn't exactly obtain my dreads naturally, I still believe I am on a "journey". In April, I will have had them for a year!

this past summer

month or two ago

a week ago!

updated by @lindi: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
justin worm
@justin-worm
11 years ago
7 posts

Woop! Welcome!

Lindi
@lindi
11 years ago
5 posts

thank you!

justin worm said:

Woop! Welcome!

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

Welcome to the site Lindi :) You are adorable!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Welcome Lindi,, they look great, that's why you get the compliments in your hometown. Glad you have been reading up on the site. I hope you never crochet or palm roll again. In the long run it affects the strength of the dread, with crocheting it breaks the hairs inside the dread, eventually causing them to break off in your hand. But you have stopped which is fantastic.

Lindi
@lindi
11 years ago
5 posts

thanks for the advice :)

the Barrellady said:

Welcome Lindi,, they look great, that's why you get the compliments in your hometown. Glad you have been reading up on the site. I hope you never crochet or palm roll again. In the long run it affects the strength of the dread, with crocheting it breaks the hairs inside the dread, eventually causing them to break off in your hand. But you have stopped which is fantastic.

Lindi
@lindi
11 years ago
5 posts

Thank you, Taye! I love your dreads as well.

taye said:

Welcome to the site Lindi :) You are adorable!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form