dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My new dreads

Matson
@matson
11 years ago
7 posts

Hello everyone!

I decided to do dreads from my super straight hair. I have had long hair about 4-5 years but I didnt like to let them be free because I looked like those heavy metal people. So, I started to do backcombing dreads 2 weeks ago. Because my hair is so straight I couldn manage to do dreads that way and I tried twist n rip technique. That worked well and now I have had dreads a bit over 1 week. Heres few pics how they look now.

updated by @matson: 02/14/15 08:27:31AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

not a bad sgart but a few look pretty fat how many do u have whats the biggest section at the scalp

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Mat, welcome to this wonderful site. As a new one here, I recommend reading the dreaducation page, tab found at the top, to find all shorts of wonderful tips on how to care for your dreads. It is good to see that you did not twist tightly, as they need to be loose in order to start the dreading process. Sections where they meet the scalp should be no larger than 1 inch or a 25 cent coin, this is because they take longer to dry:up to 24 hours, and also get heavy as they grow. That is why S.E. is asking how big the section is.

With long hair, you will have plenty of shrinkage, so be prepared for that. A guide to healthy life long dreads: no crochet hooks or felting, no wax, no wax and no wax. don't retwist or rebackcomb and careful what you wash with, as regular shampoos leave behind a residue which will build up inside your locks.

Enjoy your journey & all the crazy things your hair will do in the first year. Happy Dreading & Cheers,

Matson
@matson
11 years ago
7 posts

Thanks for your reply! I will definetly read more info from this site. Im also happy that I found this site because there seems to be lot of ways to destroy dreads with wrong methods.

I have 35 dreads + few tiny ones. If I could start over I would do smaller ones because I have, as you noticed, few big ones on the back side of my head. The biggest one includes two dreads. I didnt notice that they combined because I did all dreads myself and after I found that they were combined it was too late so get them separate. So the scalp area of that combo-dread is something like 1x2 inches. Other ones are just a bit over 1x1 inches or smaller.

I have washed my head few times and here where I live (Finland) we have a natural soap what is meant to use washing carpets. Its made of pinewood and it have very roughing/buffing effect to hair. But it also dries scalp so it needs to use only dreads.

Im waiting to see results but it seems to take a long time. During that its a time to read how others have took care of their dreads. Its also exciting because I think that Im propably the first dude here where I live who have dreadlocks :) Ive planned dreads a long time and now the time came :)

Matson
@matson
11 years ago
7 posts

Its now 10 months since I started my journey. Here are few pictures what kind my dreads are today. I have kept my hair up alot because I cant work with hair open. So that might slowed the progress a little.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

it probably did slow things some but still they look about what youd expect 10 month old dreads to look like

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
MegN
@megn
11 years ago
19 posts

you have some beautiful hair..... :)

Matson
@matson
11 years ago
7 posts

Thank you all! Ill put new pics again after few months.

Matson
@matson
10 years ago
7 posts

20 months now :)

Matson
@matson
10 years ago
7 posts

Few more...

/ 2

Dislike 0