Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

McAllister's Twist and Rip timeline!!

Alexander McAllister
@alexander-mcallister
11 years ago
17 posts

After over two years of serious contemplation, I FiNaLLy!!! decided to dread my hair (im currently searching for a decent picture of my hair before I did it, i am somewhat shy and avoided pictures being taken) So there are 33 babies in these pictures, I am so proud!!! i honestestly was hoping for more, but admitadly i am a nube to dreads, and just kind of jumped into it. I actually started my first lock by back combing, and realised 7 hours or so into it that my hair just wasnt taking to it, and then in the process of brushing it out, i ripped out a NOT OK amount of hair, ultimately loosing about 5 inches to that lock, its the tiny one in front...sad face.BUT i love them, and they are mine, and i love them. I am excited and already proud of what is to come in the future! Let this Journey Begin!!
Palm tree!!! I estimate this is around one month. I was volunteering in idaho at the time on a wolf preservation compound, so....I am sad to admit, that I was not really paying attention to the exact date it was, and i also lost the pictures i had taken the weeks up too one month. Despite that, let the timeline of my journey continue!! Loopies and zig zags!!!! Me with my buddy Mowhawk in Idaho!!!!
He is a bit better at it than i am xD

Two-ish months!!! (the lack of the ability to rock the faicial hair is regretibly noted...sad face...one day a beard will be mine)
THREE mOnThs!!!!! I am pretty sure some shrinking has taken place in the last month or so, not too many pictures to up date it, but i have both sides :)

So here is my FoUr mOnTh update, this be them at the beginning of the 4th month in my journey :) Right side Left side
Here we have a repeat, except in it you now have a yellow circle the lock-to-be that is responsible for the very noticable section lines, there will be a few more circle pictures showing you what i mean. Same lock, from the back, notice you start to kinda see it begging to split at the roots Same lock, pulled to the side to better show the vastness that is this section, you can see the split from this side a bit better.
Deffinitally seeing the split right here Not Circled, but here is a picture from a distance so you can see again the big root section, along with a way better look at the roots where they are splitting

So that is my 4 month, they have shrank up quite a bit, but i think they have more to do haha!!

I debated "splitting" the giant lock for a while after posting the pictures, but after research and talking to the dread masters of this wonderful forum, i desided that "splitting" the lock was probably a terrible idea, and to just take up the challenge of brushing the giant-to-be-out, it took a couple hours and a few moments of unneccessary panic, but i got it all out, and after a couple wash cycles, the smell of conditionder faded and the hair sectioned itself into four defferent sections all verying in size, which is what i thought the lock would rougly have enough hair for once brushed out (yay for being right). Me, after seeing that and being a tad impatient TnRed them just a little being carful not to make them to tight, just to aid in the start a little. Thank you once again dread masters that gave advice.

Some inbetween pictures...

sunny day in the park after spinning my poi for a couple hours, the vitamine D was much needed!!!

Rocking out at the bus stop into good ole' portland

FIVE MoNtH update!!!! Definitally shrank a bit more, alot of them are getting fatter, and you cant really see them in these pictures, but my new locks have started to loop up in a couple places!!! There are a few more locks that i think i am going to comb out, just one at a time, as i feel necessary, hopfully making my lock count above 40 by the end of it, there are 36 in the making currently. I'm lovin every one of them!!!! I very much look forward to reaching the half year mark, its passed so quickly it will only be a matter of blinking before i break a year and on..Im so happy!!!

Right side (side with the youngest ones)

Back (thats Nate-O)

Left side

That concludes my five month, and my timeline for now, Im super stoked to add the next set of pictures a month from now!!! dread on.

updated by @alexander-mcallister: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Alexander McAllister
@alexander-mcallister
11 years ago
17 posts

*begining to split* not "begging" my bad haha

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

the section looks huge probably combing o[it out and makig it 4 or 5 or 6 dreads is best how many dreads u got total

several sections look too big

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hey there Alex. I have learned from this site that dreads should not be any larger than a 25 cent coin/ or 1 inch thick at the base of the scalp. Anything larger will be heavier when mature and take many hours longer to dry, heavy dreads can also cause headaches. There is a video on this site by Baba Fats that shows how to separate dreads into smaller ones, or at 4 months along, take em out and start again. It looks like your hair wants to separate into smaller pieces. Other than the size, they are forming & shrinking quickly.

Alexander McAllister
@alexander-mcallister
11 years ago
17 posts

In total i have 33, i intentionally made 4 of them bigger, but beyond that i agree, there are several that i think are probably sectioned too big. honestly i was sad when i only had 33, making several of them too big is a good explination to why that happened. Whats the process for combing them out, and what tools are recommended? Thanks a bunch S.E. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

soak the dred to be combed out in conditioner or olive oil start at the tip brush comb or pick at just the last 1/2 inch some uuse a fork some a comb or brush some just fingers and pick it apart just try to be genr]=tle go slow if u hit a spot too tight to budge work some more conditioner/oil into it to soak overnight while u work on a diferent dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Alexander McAllister
@alexander-mcallister
11 years ago
17 posts

5 month update 3/6/2013

Cole Morton
@cole-morton
11 years ago
109 posts

hahaha begging to split was appropriate also! Looking good man!

Alexander McAllister said:

*begining to split* not "begging" my bad haha

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form