Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Out of the shadows...

Ayse Tillman
@ayse-tillman
11 years ago
3 posts

Hi! Ok, I've been lurking around here for a while, admiring pictures and enjoying journey stories. I finally decided (for the second time, i chickened out the first time) to start my own journey. I considered starting naturally, but I was concerned that a good amount of my hair would form massive singular locs. And that just isnt a look that i want for myself. So I decided to go to the salon and get comb coils done. I almost immediately regretted it because the stylist used some sort of aloe vera gel with the coils and each coil felt super crunchy. I have always hated gel and the crunchy hair that it causes. It's been over a week now and the crunchiness is gone. I don't want to comb the coils out because I do like the level of uniformity that I have.

The stylist also tried to warn me against washing my hair for the next 4 weeks until my next maintenance appt. She said that if I washed my hair at home and one of the coils came out, I might not be able to get it back. That only made me nervous for about a min. I have decided that I don't plan on going back to the salon for any maintenance.

I do wonder, though, if I should try to rinse the remainder of the gel out of my hair? I have kinky hair (well some parts aren't so kinky) so I doubt gel would even be necessary to hold the coil in place? And wouldn't kinky hair lock faster without any kind of manipulation?

My husband is going to start his journey too. I guess he's really already started. He's really going more the natural route. I hope he continues that way.

I'm trying to keep my hands out of my hair. I kind of obsessively touch and twist it anyway as a nervous habit, but I don't want to do anything to weaken my locs.

Anyways, I'm glad to be here. I hope to learn more from all you wonderful people!

updated by @ayse-tillman: 01/13/15 09:46:06PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

wash it salons know nothing washing helps dreads dread

she wants you to be afraid of washing yoir oiwn hair so u pay her to wash it some ppl are afraid ti wash withoit a salon after many yeaes!

definately stat=y away from the salons

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ayse Tillman
@ayse-tillman
11 years ago
3 posts

Yeah, I hate going to salons anyway. They always take longer than they're supposed to. And I hate paying someone for something I can do myself. I tried to do the comb coils myself, but I just have too much hair! I needed help lol. But I'm ok with it.

I want to use the BS/ACV rinses with some essential oils for my washings. I like the natural low maintenance style of, um maintenance lol.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Yep, you should be washing every 2-3 days. At least your hair is sectioned so let them be. All you need to do is keep them clean and separate any that join together. What you have now will loosen first and then start dreading. So if you want natural dreads, you get to save your money. Happy times

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form