Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Am I balding?? Need help please

Dez Flint
@dez-flint
11 years ago
36 posts

Hello everyone, I have visited this site often and what not because I have been paranoid lately. I myself have dreads and I have had them since 2009 and everything has been fine until now. There appears to be a split in my scalp which separates the dreads on the left half of my head from the dreads in my right. It usually was not like this at all.

I use to have dreads flowing in different directions but now there is a split. Am I balding some how? I do notice some of my dreads started thinning but they did this closer to the end of the dread not the scalp. I do have some skinny dreads too and I am in the midst of combining those but I think I need some help. I took some photos just to see if someone can diagnose me. Also, just to give people more information, I usually go to a salon and I always get my hair retwisted by the same girl and I think she palm rolls and I don't think she uses a gel but a butter like substance just from telling the smell of it. She does a good job too, I don't blame her if I am balding. It might be me because usually I wait 3 months to get my hair retwisted but last year I went atleast 5 months without getting them retwisted due to low funds.

updated by @dez-flint: 02/14/15 11:19:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

stop going to the salon stop retwisting

when u joined u said u used the mango lyme gel i commented i hope yoir not retwisting

cause if u were retwisting i knew youd be balding

yes blanme her shes retwisting despite the fact yoir going bald

in the featured vids theres 1 called twisting interlocking root tightening danfgers 1 sec ill get it for u but u never ever ever want to go anywhere near a salon

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dez Flint
@dez-flint
11 years ago
36 posts

That's the video I watched about 20 mins ago! Yeah that's why I am freaking out. But I don't go that frequent like he does, I only got them done 4 times a year everyone 3 months. Can you check out the pics I posted of my scalp?

soaring eagle said:

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

what iu have is called traction alopecia your in luck its not too bad now

ok look at your average salon dreads they will look like this

see how much scalps showing when u twist or oiny=tferlock or force the roots to be too tight it causes teaction alopecia the hair recedes into the dread wich gets thinner and thinner at the roots

now

stop retwisrting dont pull them back leave em loose

massage the scalp with oils (theres a discussion in featured discussii9ns about twisting danger s with tips)

rub jojoba into the roots to try to loosen them

massage the scalp daily to get bloodflow to the roots

fire the salon

tell her why retwistijng is so dangerouse then fire her

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

i did your not too bad off you will recover easy just dont ever retwist again

4 times a years more sane then most..but they never should be retwisted at all

u arent too bad off tho it will get worse tho if u keep going

the roots should be only as tight as they want to be

Dez Flint said:

That's the video I watched about 20 mins ago! Yeah that's why I am freaking out. But I don't go that frequent like he does, I only got them done 4 times a year everyone 3 months. Can you check out the pics I posted of my scalp?

soaring eagle said:

--
Dez Flint
@dez-flint
11 years ago
36 posts

Okay, whew, well atleast it isn't too bad but you have basically just showed me exactly how she does style my hair. Thanks man, I am glad you responded and you looked like the most knowledgeable person on this board since I saw your responses the most before I joined. I appreciate it greatly! LOL I don't want to get her fired though... But I will try doing everything else you said. Is there a way to atleast make them look neater? Can I just twist them just a little bit?? I work at a book store and I don't want people looking at me confused because where I live people can be a bit judgemental on those who have dreads.

soaring eagle said:

what iu have is called traction alopecia your in luck its not too bad now

ok look at your average salon dreads they will look like this

see how much scalps showing when u twist or oiny=tferlock or force the roots to be too tight it causes teaction alopecia the hair recedes into the dread wich gets thinner and thinner at the roots

now

stop retwisrting dont pull them back leave em loose

massage the scalp with oils (theres a discussion in featured discussii9ns about twisting danger s with tips)

rub jojoba into the roots to try to loosen them

massage the scalp daily to get bloodflow to the roots

fire the salon

tell her why retwistijng is so dangerouse then fire her

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Dez. Sorry to hear about your hair loss, but it is an unfortunate outcome of retwisting dreads. Every time your locks are twisted, hairs are pulled out by the roots, or broken elsewhere in the dread. This causes thinning of the dread and even dreads falling off. Palmrolling only causes breakage and very temporary tidyness, very temporary, so don't do this anymore either. Your hair will recover with time, new hairs will need to grow and thicken up your dreads at the scalp, but only if you stop going to a salon, twisting & palmrolling.. No hooks either, just let them be and they will become happy for you.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

ok looked at a few more luckily in general look mostly healthy if the thinning is just that 1 line ..do u have a tam u can put em up in loosely so theres no weight hangin and massage the scalp keeop]p all tension off em even from their weight

how long ago was last twist

i think u can make a full recovery in a few months

let me find the discussion with tips for ya

--
Dez Flint
@dez-flint
11 years ago
36 posts

Thank you both! Your awesome!!! Alright, well atleast I won't have to spend any more money! Alright so is there a way to encourage fast hair growth?? I have an oil right now that I am using called Jamaican Mango & Lime Island Oil, is that good? If not please tell me. Oh and should I not tie my hair anymore too? I usually tie my hair with a rubberband when I sleep and when I am at work. is that bad? What is the proper way to tie it if I am doing it wrong? Thanks again :)!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form