Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The "Constantly Changing" Law of Locks

KafkaX
@kafkax
11 years ago
69 posts

Need some advice from people who have had their dreads for a few years....

This set is coming around 2 years old soon, and the past 3 or 4 months a lot of change has been happening and I want to make sure that its ok...First, I wash 2 (sometimes) 3 times a week with BS/ACV, and dont do palm rolling, or anything of the like, just letting em do what they want...Now,I understand, especially with the natural method that the dreadies are going to go through whatever changes they need to and this will always be happening, but when should you start to step in? When does the principle to not fuck with your hair get pushed aside for a moment? lol

In the past 4 months, 1 lock (thin) ripped off and the tips/shafts of a few locks are coming more and more loose to the point where it looks like they too are going to rip off...And I have SO MUCH loose hair! I know all of this is part of the process but just wanted to get some reassurnace that its all good...

Step in and try to save em? Or let what happens, happen?

updated by @kafkax: 02/14/15 03:52:58AM
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Maybe you should let the smaller ones congo, so they don't rip off. I thought that they should be mature at this stage and not changing as much any more. I hope someone else can help you with this.

Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
Mine aren't quite 18 months but I notice changes with every wash. A new lump or loop, I love it. If there's a decent sized dread that you wouldn't mind a bit bigger, encourage the tiny locks to congo with bigger one by putting a bead on the for a few weeks, or wrapping them together. As long as the roots are free to move and table together. I did this with two tiny locks and now they make a small lock lol but the roots are nice and tight, there's a lot of hairs connecting further down.As for the loose hair, I would leave it. Unless it can be combined with the sketchy little ones! (Just thought of that lol). I have a love hate relationship with all my loose hair. I have 2 small bits that just finally got tangles with my last wash and I'm thrilled, but at the same time when they dread up I'm gonna miss those loose hairs.It's a nonstop cycle.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

u might want to try switching to the dre4adlocjshampoo soaps awhile see if that helps
other then that yea just combining them i never bothered to force combine i just didnt seperate and they joined

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
KafkaX
@kafkax
11 years ago
69 posts

Well I got some of the dreadlocks shampoo soap bars. They arrived today.

My smaller thinner locks have been getting worse the past few months...Ive been loosing serious growth on some and Im thinking maybe its the hard water damaging my hair...

Ill make sure to update this post with my results. :)

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Since I switched over to a shampoo bar I'm becoming more convinced that doing baking soda long term isn't healthy for hair. My hair stopped snapping off once I quit using the BS full time.

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

I would like to see pictures of the tips of your hair. I would have a better understanding of what is going on.

My dreads are 5 years old. I only wash my dreads once a week. I only do a BS/ACV a couple of times a year. At about 3 years... my lose hair started to section together and form baby dreads. But i still have a lot of lose hair. I like it. I have never had any of my tips break off. I know people who have long dreads that get dragged around....they have lost tips.

To me....without seeing pictures...it sounds like your hair is getting brittle. You may wanna try jojoba oil on the ends of your dreads. Jojoba is most like our natural oils. Don't worry about the lose hair. That part is perfectly normal

KafkaX
@kafkax
11 years ago
69 posts

Yeah Im not worried about it anymore, it was just alarming at how much loose hair there is. Itll get sucked in or it wont, whatever lol

I would think Jojoba oil, (or any oil for that matter) would be too conditioning for locks and would help them to come undone more?

Yeah ill post pics from my phone soon.

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

I was just suggesting oil on the tips...if the tips were brittle and breaking off.

KafkaX
@kafkax
11 years ago
69 posts

This one is starting to thin in the middle...A few locks had this problem and somewhere down the line broke off...

These ends have been thinning and thinning...

This end is knotted up fairly well, but I think its going down a similar road than a previous lock where the ends unravel and break off...

What should I supplement in my shampoo/care? Was using BS/ACV and literally just switched to the sandalwood dreadlocks shampoo bar.

updated by @kafkax: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
 / 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form