dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreads!

Jonathan Poll
@jonathan-poll
11 years ago
31 posts

Hey all,

My name is Jonathan, I'm 16, I live in France, and I would love to start dreading!

However, I have a few questions...

I hate my hair as it is. I don't like it short, but when it's long it's just too messy, that's why I want dreads! I know there is a lot of "commitment", but I'm willing to do it!

I've checked out quite a lot of methods, I'm hesitating between the 2 main ones: rip n twist and backcombing.

My hair is thick and wavy/curly, would you know which method is best for my type of hair?

Also, with the attached picture, do you think dreads would look better on me?

Should I grow my hair a bit more first? It's currently about 10cm long on average, but I wouldn't mind having dreads to my shoulders. Should I dread them now and wait for them to grow to my shoulders, or should I wait until they go past my shoulders to start dreading?

Does my hair look like a type that will "lock" quickly? Not as if it mattwers, but would be great to know :)

Well, thanks in advance!

Jonathan

updated by @jonathan-poll: 02/14/15 10:47:32AM
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Your hair should have no problem locking. Just let it go natural. Have a look at my page if you want to see what happens to curly hair, and I started when it was shorter.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

neither method go natural its perfect for your hair type and being messy is a good thing messy hairs trying to dread..let it dread

start now but it will probably not start to dread tu]ill 6 inches whatever that is in cm

it will dread itself with no backcombing no tnr and yoir hairs perfect for natural dreads

if u do insist on force starting tnr for sure

but

if u tnr u will always regret not going natural

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jonathan Poll
@jonathan-poll
11 years ago
31 posts

Hmmm natural probably is best, but I usually "do my hair" everyday like this, so I don't tink I'll "go natural".

If I go natural, I don't want to "start" during school time. I have holidays soon, I could start then (never touch my hair while at home!), woud it start taking shape in 2 weeks?

Otherwise I may try tnr.

Thanks again, JP

updated by @jonathan-poll: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Jonathan Poll
@jonathan-poll
11 years ago
31 posts

Oh, I forgot to mention that I often wear a wool hat. I guess it helps?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

just stop doing your hair it might start to dread in 2 weeks but thats uncommon tho your hair might

dont worry bout sv=chool just go for it

yiu will be amazed how most ppl like yoir hair more the les you do to it

wool hats can help or hurt u dont want a tight 1 a loose 1 like a tams better and dont wear it all the time they gotta be free to move alot too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Yeah, forget the wool hat. Get a tam so your hair can move and knot.

Jonathan Poll
@jonathan-poll
11 years ago
31 posts

OK, well I'll see how bad my hair looks in the morning. If it isn;t too bad, I'll start tommorow :D

My hat isn't very tight, but it's not a tams, its similar to this http://itsbetterhandmade.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/P9060158.jpg

We're not allowed to wear them in class (normal!), so I usually wear it walking to the bus, in the bus, at school befor elessons, take it off during lessons, I basicly pout it on all the time I'm outside!

Will short natural dreads not knot up together?

Jonathan Poll
@jonathan-poll
11 years ago
31 posts

I'll put a woolen jumper over my pillow tonight :)

I findf my hair is too short for a tam, but I could get one anyway :)

Jonathan Poll
@jonathan-poll
11 years ago
31 posts

Another question now... In my "bored free time", do you reccomend I lay on my bed with the wool jumper on the pillow, or should I just do as usual and stay on the computer?

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form