Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreads look messy? Want them to be neater.

OsciDreads
@oscidreads
11 years ago
2 posts

Hey, guess this is sort of my introduction.. I'm Alex, HI!

Anyways, I know dreads are supposed to just be kind of left alone, and you're supposed to just go with the flow, but I want my dreadlocks to look more neat, and tight.. I see other people with dreads and they look nice and clean, mine don't quite look the part..

I've had dreads for about 2 years now, my mother started them on my head (Didn't do a great job, so I had to have someone else go in and "fix" them) Then they were actual dreads, and I kind of just took care of them myself after that..

Well, I'm tired of them looking all messy, when she first did them they looked so nice..

I went to a salon today, and had them re-twist the dreads, so now they are pretty tight to the root I'd say.. But the dreads themselves look kind of messy and flat at some parts, and then kind of lumpy at other parts.

Should I palm roll them everyday, or what? I hear crocheting is bad, so I don't want to do that.. Palm rolling doesn't seem to do much, but maybe I'm not doing it right, or maybe I should do it while my hair is wet, I don't know.. I just want them to look smoother and tighter :/

Also, not sure if anyone has experience with this, but if you pay a salon for a re-twist, are they supposed to just twist the roots and that's it? or do something with the actual dreads as well?

Thanks in advanced.. You guys will probably just tell me to leave them alone, but having them look neater is my personal preference.. I don't want them perfect or anything, just nicer than they are.. Will post pics if necessary.

They are about shoulder length, by the way.

updated by @oscidreads: 01/13/15 09:45:30PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

never ever ever retwisty never let a salon touch your dreasds dreads arenst suposed to be smooth a salon retwisting them will make u go bald un a hurry

palm rolling is pointlress and harmful you absolurely should leave them alone neatness is defined by you if u let a salon define neatness u wiull be bald

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/video/retwisting-interlocking-tightening-dreads-locs-roots-dangers

thats what a salon will call neat

stay the hell away from salons

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

now compare that salon dreads idea of neatness to a healthy natural dreads that had nothing done to them at all

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/video/dreadlocks-natural-dreads

--
OsciDreads
@oscidreads
11 years ago
2 posts

I mean, I understand I shouldn't twist them a ton.. But I really want my hair to look smoother? I've basically left the dreads alone for 2 years, but they don't look how I want them to.. So I was just wondering what I can do to make them rounder, and neater? .. I don't want the natural, messy look, but I also don't want them to be perfect.

Thanks for your insight.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

they are fine as they are what makes u think they should be smooth or rougnd have u ever seen any real dreads that are smooth or riund?

they are fine ..practice acceotence

if you had a child with 6 fingers woiuld u cut 1 off just so its normal

theres absolutely nothing wriong with yoir dreads as they are

--
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Dont worry, keep doing stuff like that and they definitely wont be perfect. You will have nice bald patches in between dreads.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
11 years ago
585 posts

there is no part Alex. simply be. your hair knows what to do, without your interference cept separating. locking ones hair can be a fullfilling experience, it is a beautiful BROAD process of letting go.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

haveyou ever seen a smooth round tree or branch or root how bout an arm or a leg

it would take surgery to make a single finger round and smooth

round and smooth just doesnt happen without extreme harm yea u can turn a tree into a dow rod or even a toothpick but you have to destroy the tree to do so

to make a dred round and smooth you have to destroy it make it cease to be a dread and be something else completely

--
Castaway J
@castaway-j
11 years ago
585 posts

manufactured.

James Colby Justice
@james-colby-justice
11 years ago
75 posts

The messier they are the better.Heck, I even like my girlfriends hair better when its all messy and curly when she first gets out of bed as opposed to when she straightens it.You'll grow to love em once they start getting REALLY messy. It's a big part of the journey. When you stop caring about how messy your hair is it reflects your personality. People always tell me how much my hair suits me and how my dreads are SUPPOSED to be unruly. I get compliments all the time.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form