Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My hair is just about long enough now.

Gemma
@gemma
11 years ago
16 posts

I started trying out the neglect method several months ago, but after struggling with depression and anxiety, the scraggly hair on my head was really affecting my confidence. I had a really difficult time and i ended up taking all of my hair off. I just got the hair clippers to it and took it off (it used to be at my shoulders). It ended up just longer than a buzzcut. It was awful.

Its been growing now for 4 months and its finally back at a length where i can start doing SOMETHING with it. I have been shampooing it like normal, but at the length it is now, it isstartingto naturally curl again, and this short natural curly business looks terrible whatever i do with it.

As my hair grows out, i'd like to keep the top of my head combed as i don't want short and spikey dreads sticking up whilst its this short. I have been toying with the idea of using the twist and rip method on the hair at the sides, and washing with my oils and bicarb, so that the hair will lock up as it grows out (whilst keeping combed hair on top).

Its nice to be back on here, i had missed reading about everyone's dread journey. :)

If anyone can offer any advice on how to manage short hair dreads i'd appreciate it. x

updated by @gemma: 01/13/15 09:45:28PM
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Sorry to hear about your situation. I can relate, to a degree, butIhaven't gone through it for years now.

So, down to business. What length is your hair now? I'm guessing around 2-3 inches, given that you buzzed it and hair grows at about 1/2 inch a month. If so, then it is still too short, unfortunately. However, I started neglecting my hair at about 3-4 inches. If your hair is curly, as you said it is (doesn't really look like it in the photo) then it may start to dread a bit faster than others might. In any case, you can neglect now and you will likely see sections forming in a fewmonths. You wont look back. Time flies anyway.

I would start now, if I were you, by buying a clarifying shampoo (travel bottle will suffice) and wash once or twice to rid your hair of residues. Then you can start on what ever other washing sechdule you want.

As for managing short hair dreads, just let them be. Wear a tam if you are really self conscious. I'm sure you will be fine. Just relax and let it happen for you. Happy dreading from here on out :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

i would tyhink it would look goofier with combed hair on top then with dreads sticking up

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Gemma
@gemma
11 years ago
16 posts

Kelly, yep i actually measured it for the first time since cutting it and it is exactly 3" :( My hair is extremely curly/wavy naturally, it'd just been straightened in my avatar picture (that was a couple of years ago when i had lovely long hair!) so it will definitely take to naturally locking up much faster.

Thank you, i really appreciate the advice! x

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Well, as I said, I started at about 3 inch. I suspect that my hair is much curlier than yours, but that is fine. It is still fun to watch the changes as they happen, even if it takes a little longer. You hear a lot of people here talking about how it teaches them "patience". I don't know about that, but maybe you will get some positive effects from the process.

If you get sick of going natural, in another 3-4 months you could TnR and it should stick. If you haven't been brushing then all the sections will be ready made, but I would stick with natural. I'm loving it way too much. Don't be afraid to drop me a line if you need anything.

Gemma
@gemma
11 years ago
16 posts

Thank you, Amanda, that is very kind of you x Did you do the TNR on your friends hair?

Thanks again for the advice, Kelly. From here on, i won't be combing the sides of my hair, so it'll be interesting to see how it seperates itself. It seperated well when i first attempted the neglect method with my longer hair x

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form