Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

hard sticky stuff

Meijka
@meijka
11 years ago
23 posts

So a few of my dreads are a bit stiff. I was terribly worried that it would be something horrible like decomposing hair. Almost. I came over my fear of chopping my fattest dread, I opened it up and there was a sticky hard substance. It collects a lot of lint. It isn't mildew yet, it doesn't stink. I believe it to be a lot of residue buildup from my previous hair wash. I really need help with this one guys. I want to know of any way I can get this stuff out of my hair completely. For having young dreads they are pretty tight. I am worried that anything I try won't penetrate deep into the dreads enough. I never used wax or conditioners. I do my best to keep my hair dry for as long as possible. I am using Nutrogena res free shampoo for the time being, until I solve this problem. I really don't want to get rid of my babiess. Help me, I love them.

updated by @meijka: 01/13/15 09:45:20PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

nutragena isnt res free its a res stripper and its what you should use...on dce and only once inthis situation it will leave its own buildup tho so dont use it all the time its extremel;y toxic too

u can tey a vinager soak as well

what was your old wash

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

on 2nd thought probly sebum

i would guess over using nutragena would trigger a sebum explosion as your scalp pannicks from all the harsh stripping

--
Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
It could be a combination from your previous hair wash and dead skin. I've pulled off the ends of a few dreads and cut them open to find what looks like dust. No smells, no funky colors, just dusty looking.
Meijka
@meijka
11 years ago
23 posts

I used this generic 'natural' hair wash from walgreens called bioinfusion rosemary and mint shampoo. I've only used nutrigena once so far. It could be sebum because my hair was naturally really oily before I got dreads. Does sebum buildup lead to dread rot in the long run? This stuff was at the bottom of one of my dreads. It was a bit sticky and stiff. It wasn't rot, but I believe it could eventually rot given enough time to. I want to quit using shampoos all together anyway. Thank you for your advice =D

soaring eagle said:

nutragena isnt res free its a res stripper and its what you should use...on dce and only once inthis situation it will leave its own buildup tho so dont use it all the time its extremel;y toxic too

u can tey a vinager soak as well

what was your old wash

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

its probly the generic crappy shampoo u used stop using that use the nutragena to strip it once then try the dreadlockshampoo or baking soda

--
Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

i looked up the shampoo and a lot of the ingredients are coating ingredients for static control and conditioning. i would do a bs deep clean with hot water and then an acv rinse. you might need to do it a few times.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form