Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

motivation for my dread journey!

soulshiiine
@soulshiiine
11 years ago
4 posts

So, long story short, i've been wanting to dread my whole head for about a year and half. I've had 1-3 dreads in my hair for the most part during that time period (twist and rip). i've been planning on getting a friend to twist and rip all of my hair, but now i am leaning way more towards the natural method. I do have a more relaxed job and will be going to college next year so the timing seems pretty decent. i have fairly thick hair but its pretty straight with a little bit of wave. it tends to get oily pretty quickly if i don't wash my hair for about 3 days. i have been using all natural shampoo for about 2 years. so basically all i need to know is how to START. and when i do wash my hair, is there anything in particular i should or shouldn't do? thanks for your help!

happy dreading ~

grace

updated by @soulshiiine: 01/13/15 09:45:06PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi and welcome to this fantastic site that has helped me plenty. Hair should be washed every 2-3 days, must be clean to dread, natural oils slow down the process. Having done the twist and rip myself, I recommend the free form way, all natural. The T&R takes longer to mature, as they need to loosen up first in order to dread, so why not skip that step and go natural. This site recommends that you wash with baking soda when first starting out, it is a no touch wash. The recipe for this is 1/2 cup baking soda to 5 cups water. Pour the mixture over your head and let it set for about 20 minutes before rinsing it out. To condition the hair, mix a cap full or two of apple cider vinegar to 5 cups water, pour over head and rinse, no waiting required. This does have a strong smell, so a few drop of your favorite essential oil added to this mixture helps. Dreads take more than a year on most people, the the timing does look right for you, sometimes timing is everything. The search tab and dreaducation tab at the top of this site can find you just about everything you need to know, so happy reading.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

to start..stop

stop combing stop conditioning 1 tip washing with baking soda a few weeks tips the ph ballance away from the too acidic side so u will get less oily using thyme tea as a rince fter will help as well

continue washing everry 3-4 days and if u use a drread shamoo scrub the scalp only if u use the baking soda dont scrub at all just soak

dont towel dry just shake o=it and go let it drip dry

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

If your hair is oily it might be best to avoid the ACV part of the BS wash, as it can make it more oily. You would probably be better to buy from here. http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

One more thing to add to the above list.....make sure not to run your fingers through your hair. I was talking to a friend of mine recently. She was telling me that she had decided to go neglect and was all excited about starting them. As we were talking I watched her run her fingers through her hair not once but 3 times!! She might as well have been standing there combing her hair. It is a habit that I pointed out to her. She didn't evenrealizeshe was doing it. So keep those fingers out of your hair (even when washing) except toseparatethe dreads to keep them from forming a big mass :)

soulshiiine
@soulshiiine
11 years ago
4 posts

I have been using "Andalou" natural shampoo which is sulfate and paraben free. I started sleeping with a wool sweater on my pillow and have totally stopped using the brush. (not that i did much before.. haha) but the only thing i'm struggling with is keeping my fingers out of my hair!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form