Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Natural Hair Dyes?

Anna3
@anna3
11 years ago
70 posts

Hi guys, I've been wanting to color my hair red and was wondering what everyone's opinion was on which brand of dye to use. I want to use a natural dye, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I've seen a few henna dyes but which one is the best? Are there any other types besides henna? Also what about any home concoctions that I could make?

Thanks in advance!

updated by @anna3: 01/13/15 09:44:58PM
Ixchel
@ixchel
11 years ago
597 posts

I've always used hennaforhair & had good results. They also have an awesome area with photo gallery of different mixes & the results they got, fun to browse ;)

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

what ixchel said!! i personally used Jamilla. its cheaper and its got good dye content. i used june 2012 crop supersift and the stain was bright bright orange so i think a few layers would be needed for it to be red red. but the good thing iwth henna is its permanent and looks really natural. fake red dye always looks fake, but henna compliments your natural hair because it binds to the keratin inside your hair. its like a candy paint job ;)

Ixchel
@ixchel
11 years ago
597 posts

I do love the reds henna mixes can give you, but I have had an awesome boxed red before too ;)

I used henna & indigo (twice, 2 different mixes to get the coloring I wanted) & it seems with baking soda washes the indigo faded out pretty quickly, the henna i do believe has been lightened but the color is still pretty good.

I would say either use henna before you dread, or wait until you have a good few solid knots in there so you aren't undoing a lot. I used it before I started, my hair was super straight, soft & silky before starting anyways so I'm not sure how much the conditioning contributed to my slower progress? It wasn't noticeable, & I don't really care, I love whatever they are doin lol <3

Anna3
@anna3
11 years ago
70 posts

I think I have some solid knots in there already. I might give the henna a try. My hair is already pretty dry from not using any kind of moisture in my hair so I don't want to dry it out even more with chemical hair dye. I'm afraid my dreads will bread off or something!

Ixchel said:

I do love the reds henna mixes can give you, but I have had an awesome boxed red before too ;)

I used henna & indigo (twice, 2 different mixes to get the coloring I wanted) & it seems with baking soda washes the indigo faded out pretty quickly, the henna i do believe has been lightened but the color is still pretty good.

I would say either use henna before you dread, or wait until you have a good few solid knots in there so you aren't undoing a lot. I used it before I started, my hair was super straight, soft & silky before starting anyways so I'm not sure how much the conditioning contributed to my slower progress? It wasn't noticeable, & I don't really care, I love whatever they are doin lol <3

Ixchel
@ixchel
11 years ago
597 posts

be sure to take before/after photos & share whatever you do ;)

yeah i think it's an irrational fear of mine, but i am super scared of doing damages to my dreads so i doubt i'll be messing with dyes anytime too soon lol. super crazy of me i know. so many people do all sorts of dyeing & they are fine!

Anna said:

I think I have some solid knots in there already. I might give the henna a try. My hair is already pretty dry from not using any kind of moisture in my hair so I don't want to dry it out even more with chemical hair dye. I'm afraid my dreads will bread off or something!

Ixchel said:

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form