Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Itchiness making me miserable! Help me pls!

Nicki Herrick
@nicki-herrick
11 years ago
27 posts
Hey there, I have been so miserable lately. I just moved recently n my new climate is terribly dry and I'm used to high humidity. My itchy scalp has been keeping me up at night and it feels like chicken pox on my head. I dont understand why my acalp is so dry now that i have dreads. I grew up living in a dry climate for 20 years and never experienced anything like this before my dreadlocks. I've had my dreads for about a year n a half now, can u pls help me understand why I'm so itchy with them now. I've really been reconsidering having them but i think that's just the lack of sleep talking.I'm waiting on some essential oils to arrive in the mail: tea tree, lavender, neroli, rose absolute, & jojoba. I think I need a heavier base oil for my scalp but I'm not sure. I need something fast! I can't handle my lack of sleep anymore. :( Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
updated by @nicki-herrick: 01/13/15 09:44:56PM
Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

Peppermint oil is soo refreshing. Its like that cool feeling of menthol in your mouth, but on your head. I mix rosemary and peppermint and rinse it at the end of my shower. I dont go back under the shower, I leave it on the hair and scalp. I have just started adding apricot kernel oil too, but that is still an experiment.

To half a gallon I add about 5 drops Rosemary and 10 of peppermint, and as splash of apricot. Keep your eyes shut, peppermint is strong.

I also use bucks county dreadlockshampoo, I recommend that too.

I really hope it gets better for you

peace and blessings.

Tazz
@tazz
11 years ago
17 posts

Hmm do you use bs/acv? You could try the dreadlock soap bar and see if that's any better.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

the dreadlockshampoo.cokm bart will stop the itch just great /..unless u got lice are u using hot or cold water check for lice just to be safe

getthe dreadlockshampoo teatree bar (not liquid)

if u use sea salt..stop

if u use baking soda withoit acv use aqcv

how are u washing with what and how often

a good scalp oil woild be

jojoba

rosemary

lavender

pepermint

teatreee

(in that order of strength)

warning jojobas conditio0ning so use with care on young dreads

oh aloes good too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Noah Meyers
@noah-meyers
11 years ago
7 posts

my wife has a very dry scalp also and i like to use some olive oil. i use a bottle pourer from a bar, and put it directly on the scalp, then rub it in with my fingertips. she loves it.

Nicki Herrick
@nicki-herrick
11 years ago
27 posts
Thanks for the advice. In response to SE I do not have lice. My bf and I have thoroughly checked my hair. I wash my hair aprx every 3 days. I am using the shampoo bars from Dreadlockshampoo.com. I use the tea tree and rosemary one on my scalp n thn the dragons blood on my locks just cuz I love the way it smells. It seems to be worst in the evening of the day I washed my hair. I make sure to lower the temp of the water when it's on my scalp in the shower n I rinse with ice cold water right before I get out. That's pretty much my routine. I will order some more oils and see how that does. I feel as if that's my missing link. Any reccomendations on how I go about using/applying them?? Also, are rose absolute and rosemary different? I'm assuming rosemary is like the herb n rose absolute is like the flower, but I just wanna make sure.Thanks again for all your help. :)
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

Tea tree can be drying...so you may want to skip it for a while. A bit off subject here but... I put a few drops of tea tree on my palm, rub my hands together, then run my hands over thelengthof my dreads. I do not do this for actual hair care. I do it because it repels (not kills) lice. I only do this if i am going near children or somewhere in public where i have to sit in a chair, like a doctors office or a movie theater. Lice are easy to catch hard to notice and a pain to get rid of. With the way you described your scalp...i would suggest checking for lice again.

Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
If it's from super dry skin, jojoba will work wonders. I only put about 5 drops in my acv rinse and I'm moisturized quite well until my next wash.
melanie rose
@melanie-rose
11 years ago
177 posts
Jojoba and peppermint have really helped my itchy scalp. Good luck
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form