Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

neglect dreads forming where old dreads were

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
11 years ago
158 posts
Okay, I've been very back and forth on whether I should TnR this set or just go neglect. I've decided to go neglect, and I just combed out my year-old dreads to redo my dreads (due to horrible maintenance choices I made in the beginning of that set, and bad sectioning). I'm only a day without brushing, but my hair gets scraggly fast and I can kinda see where it looks like it might start to section in some places. My old dreads were only combed out about a week ago, and my underneath hair by my neck is still kinda frizzy and tangly where the dreads were, even though I've combed through and got all the tangles out. I feel like my hair underneath is starting to section and knot back up where those dreads were, like my hair is still used to being in that section. So I was wondering if I should hold off on letting my hair start to dread until my hair no longer has a "memory" of the old sections? I don't want them to just form right back where the old ones were, because some of those sections weren't good sections. They were very unnatural. So should I wait a few weeks and let it all get back to normal, or is it okay if some of them just form back where they were before? I hope this made some sense lol:)
updated by @cristin-nessen: 01/13/15 09:44:49PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Sounds like your hair misses being dreads and wants to get right back in there. I have no experience with a second set, but I would dread back right away because your hair is still frizzy and wants to knot, so the process will be quicker. After a week of natural sectioning, check each one to make sure they are no larger than 1 inch or size of a quarter coin section at the scalp, that is the largest that is recommended. Separate to smaller sections if necessary and check every couple of days to separate if needed. I did T&R and if for some reason I had to do a second set, I would go completely free form for sure. How fun for you, you get to see all the crazy loops again. Enjoy

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
11 years ago
158 posts
Thank you!I know, I'm so excited to watch it all over again! The loops and lumps and bumps and craziness! And now that I know what to expect and not to worry or fret bout any of it, it'll be that much more enjoyable! Before I was so worried and caught up in them looking "perfect" that I ended up crocheting and using wax. Blah! :(So that's why I'm starting over fresh. And I no longer like the "perfect" look. Now, perfect to me is them looking as natural and crazy as can be! Letting them look however they want :)
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form