Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

GAH! Dandruff ACROSS and UNDER the bands..

FourWindsInvoker
@fourwindsinvoker
11 years ago
3 posts

My dreads are almost 3 months old *YAY* and I have changed the kinds of rubber bands I had been using. Before the bands were very thin and would break if the wind blew too hard..lol Now I am using bands I bought from Walmart that are called 'Super Stretch'.. No more breaking while I sleep, shower, live life, etc!

Meanwhile..I am still having dandruff issues. Ive noticed a white residue across the top AND under most bands that were at/near my scalp. GAH! I wash my hair with the BS & V rinse. I have tired rosemary, andeucalyptusessential oils as well. Adjusting the amounts of BS & V have helped some but still.. dandruff..no itching, so that is a major plus.

I have taken a few bands off and literally pulled apart the dread, cleaned it with water and scrubbed with two fingers to get this crap off. BLEH.

I am wicked determined to continue my journey. I am learning so much of myself, others, and those of the Otherworld...

Any input or advice would begreatlyappreciated and honestly.. would kick ass as well.

Blessed Be~

updated by @fourwindsinvoker: 01/13/15 09:44:35PM
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Remove the rubber bands. They cause weak spots in the dread, can get stuck in the dread, then rot and smell. There is no need for them.

I get dandruff too, soIcan't help you there. I'm going to switch to http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/ , as I heard a number of members saying that it helped.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
11 years ago
585 posts

man its ok. cept for them rubber bands stop using them lol. i have dandruff too, and the only thing remaining constant is my environment, ive changed many things to try and rid myself of it. but now i view it as all the little things in life that i need to let go of and accept. you can manage it, trust me if i can so can you :)

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
11 years ago
100 posts
I use that shampoo n have no druff issues. Could it be that the bands are keeping some sort of residue from a product in ur scalp? And yea Adam is 100% correct, them bands gotta go, may not be an issue now, but when ur dreads lock up n weigh down on that weak spot ur dreads will break. The roots should be wider than tge dread to support its weight, similar to the foundation of a home. U can try washing with cool water n rinsingwith cold water(this sucks btw lol) this temporarily reduces the release of oils from ur scalp by closing the pores on ur head. N deff try the rosemary teatree bar from that site, shit is money. Hope this helps. 1.
Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
Rinsing with cold water, just a blast at the end of your wash or shower. Check out the 'essential oils for scalp health' discussion. There are several oils that will help, I just can't think of them off the top of my head. I believe Clary Sage is one. Just do a search for essential oils and you'll find it.
Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

That happened to me when I had rubber bands in as well -- my theory is that some of the funk that built up in my hair between washes simply became trapped underneath the bands, so I couldn't get it out in the shower. I took the bands out and yes, a few of my dreads did unravel, but they fixed themselves eventually. :)

FourWindsInvoker
@fourwindsinvoker
11 years ago
3 posts

Thanks for the input everyone!

I had the kid help me take out some bands, being that hes 6'7 and Im 5'4 it helps! He looked at me and said, 'Oh yeah Mom... thats gotta GO!'

Lets see what happens next!

Brightest Blessings~

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

bands? at6 3 months? u shouldnt have bands in at 3 days let alone 3 months take them out! bands are nothing but trouble and cause a dozen serous issues

try the dreadlockshampoo teatree rosemary bar

but right now take every sin band out and hope u get every peice most likely youve got chunks broken off stuck inside dreads for life now

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
James Colby Justice
@james-colby-justice
11 years ago
75 posts

Tea tree oil has worked miracles for me.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form