Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Homemade flaxseed gel on dreads?

Lapis Angela Lazuli
@lapis-angela-lazuli
11 years ago
76 posts
I was planning on making some flaxseed gel for my kids hair, and I started thinking if I could use them on my dreads(to pull in loose hair that keep going into wrong dreads). I was going to add a bit of essential oils like lavender and rosemary.What is you guys opinion on this? would love to know!Thanks :)
updated by @lapis-angela-lazuli: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
Lapis Angela Lazuli
@lapis-angela-lazuli
11 years ago
76 posts
I've tried her sample of gels, and I loved it, but I don't have enough fund to buy them, sadly. So I wanted to try making them on my own till I can afford it. And I also wanted to make the gel for kids, but I wanted those gels to be more conditioning :)I did read her ingredients, but it said it was 95% xanthan gum? I wonder if it will make difference if I make it with flaxseed as main ingredient?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

flax is the main ingredient i believe 95% xaxum refers to the stren gth or purity the way 99% aloe does

in ingreedients the 1st is always the main 2nd next so technicaly the water is in higher quantaties then the flax then flax then xaxum byu the time u get to the 3rd u could be talking vbery small ammounts sincde after that u might be talking a couple drops

its hard to guess at ratios but cuould be like gallon 1/2 gallon 1/4 cup 1/2 teaspoon 10 drops 3 drops 1 drop etc

it took vicki months of experimenmting to perfect it

and i belkoeve she double extracts the flax seeed oils somehow like boils scrapes off the oils then puts it through another process cai=use flax seed oil on its own in its noermal state would be a disasfrtrer to try to wsh out (linolium floors are made from flax seed oil thats hardened somehow)

she explained the process to me but i forget the details

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lapis Angela Lazuli
@lapis-angela-lazuli
11 years ago
76 posts
oh ok I understand. thanks SE!
Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
Here's a YouTube vid on making this gel. I believe this is the best one, at least that I can find. It doesn't have a long shelf life (6 or so weeks refrigerated) because there are no preservatives in it (I think that's what the xanthan gum is for). You can add essential oils to it for pretty smells and all the other good things the oils are for. Another member here emailed Vickie about it, Vickie confirmed that this is pretty much her recipe. Of course Vickie has refined it to have a longer shelf life, etc.
Lapis Angela Lazuli
@lapis-angela-lazuli
11 years ago
76 posts
Awesome!! You are amazing. Thanks a bunches :)
Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
Anytime :) thank you!
Cole Morton
@cole-morton
11 years ago
109 posts

Just wondering if you tried it on your locs yet? I was toying with the idea of making my own as well, but I was concerned it would not wash from my locs well and I didn't want anything to build up in them.

Lapis Angela Lazuli
@lapis-angela-lazuli
11 years ago
76 posts
Hi! Yes, I've made some and tried them, and to me it didn't seem to leave any residue after I washed my dreads. But my favorite gel still is the dreadlockshampoo karma gel.
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

I've been using some homemade flax seed gel I made and it's helped me make crazy progress! My locks are seriously what they should look like five months from now if I hadn't used it.

You don't have to be heavy with it. Just smooth it lightly down your lock starting just below the root and yep, it'll take care of most frizzies. I adore the stuff. And yes, no residue!!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form