Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

A Good Baking Soda/ ACV Recipe?

Mego
@mego
11 years ago
14 posts

Okay so the last couple of times I washed my dreads I used a couple of different baking soda recipes. I don't remember the exact amount for either but I know the first time my hair didn't feel clean when I got out of the shower. The second time I used a larger amount of baking soda and mixed it in a large pitcher. After I poured it over my head there was a light burning sensation almost. I can't seem to find the right balance I think...Anyone know of a good BS/ACV recipe for shorter dreads?

updated by @mego: 02/14/15 07:50:01AM
Joshua3
@joshua3
11 years ago
21 posts

To me it sounds like you had too much baking soda in the mix and that's why you felt a burning sensation. I personally find that about 1/4-1/2 cup of BS per gallon of water cleans well depending on how grimy my hair feels. also http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/baking-soda-and-sea-salt-ratios is a great resource forexactmeasurments.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

1-10 ration of bs to water so 1/2 cup baking soda to 5 cups water

acv only a spoonful or 2 to 5 cups

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mego
@mego
11 years ago
14 posts

The burning sensation came from the 1/2 cup bs to the 5 cups water...is it okay to dilute it? My skin is really sensitive.

Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

i used 1 tbs bs per cup of water.

Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
I use 1/2 cup bs to 5 cups water. I notice of my scalp is irritated it'll burn a bit at first. After it sits for a bit it stops.
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Mego. Each scalp is different, so I suggest you just play with the measurements until you find a suitable one for you. The BS is the best way to go for starting out, you just need to find your recipe.

Diego F.
@diego-f
11 years ago
73 posts

i think that you should discover for yourself. None of the recipes here worked for me.

To clean my head i have to use an great quantity of baking soda. 80 grams of baking soda to 1 liter of water.

Less than this will leave dandruff and dead skin on my hair.

Mego
@mego
11 years ago
14 posts

I washed my dreads with 1/2 cup bs in a 1/2 a gallon of water and they came out feeling clean and no burning sensation. So for me 1/2 cup BS with 8 cups water worked. You guys were right about finding your own recipe. Thanks everyone!!!

Isai
@isai
11 years ago
10 posts

hey! so glad i read this! I did a wash this morning and I used 1/3 of a cup to a gallon of water. I knew something was off cuz my hair is still oily...prob gonna try tomorrow morning again. Gonna try ur 1/2 to 1/2

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form