Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

do you get new dreads?

Jean Krost
@jean-krost
11 years ago
4 posts

im really new to this.. i just back combed my hair yesterday.. what im wondering is as my dreads mature will new ones start or will the sections i have now be all i get?

updated by @jean-krost: 02/14/15 08:33:58AM
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

First off, did you use wax? If you used wax then you should remove it immediately. If not, then some of the dreads should completely fall out and they will form new dreasd. This is normal. Another Q, what size sections did you use? Were they all perfectly square, etc?

Jean Krost
@jean-krost
11 years ago
4 posts

no i didnt use wax... my friend keeps telling me to but i spent a few days reading about it and thats a no go lol.. so far ive soaked them with salt water and washed them with baking soda.. i have loose rubber bands in around the base of each dread (though some have fallen out) as far as the section sizes.. id say they are no bigger than a half dollar.. some are smaller than the others though ... i had two really big ones in the front that i ended up tearing in half

Adam Kelly said:

First off, did you use wax? If you used wax then you should remove it immediately. If not, then some of the dreads should completely fall out and they will form new dreasd. This is normal. Another Q, what size sections did you use? Were they all perfectly square, etc?

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Take out those rubber bands. They will break, get stuck in the dread, rot and smell. I don't know how big a dollar is, but they should be no bigger than aquarter, so I hear. 1 square inch is theabsolutemax they should be. It is better if you use different sized sections and random shapes. Better for your scalp heath. After you wash with BS, you need to do an ACV rinse. Type BS/ACV into the search function, or BS and AVCseparately. You will find all the info you need there. Also worth looking at is "essentialoils"

Jean Krost
@jean-krost
11 years ago
4 posts

will do...should i tear the big sections in half or would it be better to give them a chance to fall out?

Adam Kelly said:

Take out those rubber bands. They will break, get stuck in the dread, rot and smell. I don't know how big a dollar is, but they should be no bigger than aquarter, so I hear. 1 square inch is theabsolutemax they should be. It is better if you use different sized sections and random shapes. Better for your scalp heath. After you wash with BS, you need to do an ACV rinse. Type BS/ACV into the search function, or BS and AVCseparately. You will find all the info you need there. Also worth looking at is "essentialoils"

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Personally, I would brush the sections out, very, very, gently, from the tips.

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Condition them well if you think they are too tight.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

1/2 dollar coins are pretty big. Maybe about 30% bigger than a quarter. When you locks mature, they will be the size of that coin. So you'l have some massive locks. If you're ok with that, fine. I love fatties. I can't difinitely help you with them. Fat locks take more care to wash and dry.

If you don't want super fat locks, I'd recommend combing them out and making 2-3 smaller locks out of those sections. You could probably even get 4 from it.

As for new growth... New growth will sometimes get sucked into other locks. Sometimes it will form new locks. All you have to do is check and see if the new growth is being pulled into a lock that is too far away. Rip them apart and let the new hair form on it's own.

For a while you will have the number of locks you started with. In time, new growth will get long enough to start locking up by itself. So in time, you will have super long mature locks with shorter baby locks forming in between the original sections. The length difference is fine. The new locks will fill in any gaps, and add volume to your hair

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Oh, I forgot to mention... Take out the rubber bands. Now. Rubber bands, no matter how loose you put them in, are still elastic and squeeze your locks too tightly causing weaker spots. They can still get sucked into your locks and dry rot inside of them.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

u never had to backcomb at all and dreads would form now as u seperate u get loose hairs between each dread as they grow once they are long enough they either get sucked into a dread or form a new dread so yea u wiill get new dreads naturaly from time to time

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form