Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Organic locking on super long hair

Tia Heldt
@tia-heldt
11 years ago
4 posts

I want to dread my hair, and I'm looking for the most natural, organic way to do that. However I have hair past my butt, so I'm a little worried about letting it free form. I'm afraid it will be one huge mass! I've read through ALL of the instructions on this site and still have a few questions. Such as, allowing them to free form means I don't brush or comb, but what about doing things like putting the hair in a pony tail or a bun? Obviously the elements wouldn't be able to work their magic as quickly, but would it still work to have a pony tail in some of the time? having my hair down ALL the time will drive me nuts! I was wondering if using a combination of methods would be better for hair as long as mine. Like organic forming and separating for a while and then adding beads to help keep them separated? Or would you suggest maybe some twist and rip to get them started? ACK! I dont' know! I do know I want to stay away from the waxes and products!
I started 2 little dreadies using the twist and rip method, but they are really fuzzie....so no palm rolling and no crochet hook, but how long until all the fuzzie hairs get swallowed up by the dread?

updated by @tia-heldt: 01/13/15 09:44:26PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

well putting them up ..some is fine not all the time but being up will slow things but also encourage a ponydread (a dreaded ponytail 1 dread) the more they are down the better u will have to seperate alot no matter what methods

u can add beads ofcourse

all dreads will be fuzzy awhile ..a long time but gets less fuzzy all the time

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tia Heldt
@tia-heldt
11 years ago
4 posts

Thank you for your response! I definitely don't want 1 dread! My hair is so thick that would be a problem!! I'm not sure which way I'll start my journey.....I'll keep you posted!

Tia Heldt
@tia-heldt
11 years ago
4 posts

Another question about shampoo....can I shampoo while I am waiting for them to lock up or should I do the BS/ACV.....and does the no poo thing work in high humidity areas? hawaii is pretty high humidity! What about the ocean....can I swim and how soon.

Natty Dave
@natty-dave
11 years ago
56 posts

you need to get all the stuff that the old poo's leave in, like conditioners and smelly stuff, so you would want to us a dread or deep cleaning poo to use, or a lot of people on this site like the stuff from http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com I haven't tried it but i'm looking forward to ordering some soon. my wife and I have mostly used bs, but we have used a couple of local handmade soap bars that they said were natural and organic, some people like dilluted dr bronners, i think it works for those who do not have hard water, I have used the knotty boy and dreadhead stuff before, save your money and go elsewhere, kb is ok, but not worth the money, dhhq was just terrible, i hated washing with it and could not wait to be out of it.

I would recommend a sea salt spray before if your going to do rip 'n' twist, just gives it a little more texture, but from my experience in my case, i did r'n't and it helped get started some but most of it fell out and redreaded on it's own, my wife did her's natural with out separating unless they pull or something, her's a lot thinker than mine in the back, but she ties her hair back a lot too for work, so that may add to it as she also has a lot of loose hair on top from being tied back so much, I prefer to keep mine in a tam to tieing them back, but a tail isn't to bad sometimes, she used a bandanna instead of an elastic band so it doesn't cut in as much and cause a lot of weak spots.

your scalp will adjust over time to how you wash, i have found that after a year of washing, i have been able to do so less frequently, personal preference, some will say never go more than a week, if it starts to get itchy or uncomfortable, time to rinse or wash, you can also use pepperment sprays to help itchyness if its a problem

i have swam after 2 or 3 days with out a problem in a cholrine pool, but ocean water is supposed to be great for dreads so you may even be doing your self a favor.

Tia Heldt
@tia-heldt
11 years ago
4 posts

Thanks! All of this info is great! I have both organic all natural soap bars and Dr b's on hand so I'll start with those!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Tia. I also had long hair when I started, now 10 months in over half have shrunk to above my shoulders. The longer the hair, the more shrinkage, so be prepared for that. May I suggest cutting a sleeve off from an extra large t shirt and slipping it over your hair, better than a pony tail or scrunchi. Free form locks are the best way for locks to form. I first let my hair separate naturally for a couple of weeks to form its own sections and than I did twist and rip. If you go this route, do NOT twist tightly, they must be able to loosen up in order to dread. You Will get a head full of the frizzes with Twisting, but it does go away. The natural route all the way does not get them. Beads will help get your hair started and keep them somewhat separated, but take them out when all the crazy loops start to form or they may get struck in there. Don't let anyone talk you into wax, gels or creams. Waxing even once will hold water inside the dread and it will mould and smell, gels & creams will build up inside the dread and do the same. Wash 2-3 times a week as hair needs to be clean in order to dread. Oily hair causes the knotting process to slip out. Enjoy your journey, have patience and strength, it certainly is a ride with a beautiful outcome.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form