Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Viewed as a Rasta

Samson
@samson
11 years ago
21 posts

It seems that when people see dreadlocks they automatically think Rasta. At first, I had no problem with it but as time goes on I feel my identity is being misconstrued as something that I'm not. Don't get me wrong I love the Rastas and I respect everything about their culture but I feel that dreadlocks shouldn't pertain to only one group of people. If only the common person knew that dreadlocks were being embraced as far back as time can go. The Egyptian kings(Pharoahs),the Persian princes, the African tribe leaders all grew their dreads. Keep your culture, grow your dreadlocks, don't be afraid of the wolf pack.

Everywhere I go in these city streets I hear " Yo, Rasta whats good?"
I turn around, acknowledge them and keep going with a smile on my face. Maybe being called Rasta is growing on me but either way I know what my culture is and I'm proud to continue my journey of hairy proportions. Would love to hear your thoughts on this subject. Peace.

updated by @samson: 02/14/15 04:55:30AM
Eddy St. King
@eddy-st-king
11 years ago
50 posts

It's no big deal, that's just society being blissfully ignorant. They don't know better. Bob Marley, an iconic figure in history, was known to be Rastafarian. Hence, any normal Joe that sees someone with dreads is gonna associate that with a Rasta. It's just common ignorance. They're not dissing you, they just don't know better. I actually follow the Rasta concepts and I could care less what people think they're just mindlessly talking. It's not their fault. It's just Babylon. You don't seem too affected by it seem pretty chill so just keep doing you. Bless mane

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Fuck it man.. Who cares. people think what they think and say what they say. It only affects you if you let it. Just because you are knowledgeable about the history doesn't mean that they will be. just get on with it and accept it. It's the only thing you can do.

Samson
@samson
11 years ago
21 posts

Yeah, I don't feel an ill way about it. I'm just saying whats on my mind and im noticing im being called a Rasta like everywhere I go. I'm cool about it tho I know people will always be belligerent, particularly when it comes to something they don't understand.

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Good stuff. As long as you're not getting uptight about it, because that would only cause you harm. No need in that.

Samson
@samson
11 years ago
21 posts

Positive Vibrations!!!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Funny, being Caucasian I am thought of as a Hippie before they even find out I am a free spirited soul. Hippie or Rasta, it is a great complement to me.

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
11 years ago
100 posts
Everybody just chill man, yall shouldnt be offended one way or another, people are gonna say what they wanna say, n pigeonhole u into a group, religion, or place in society. As long as those close to you respect you n dont do ir to you, thats all that matters. When people ask me if im a rasta i say yea sure i am, just leave me alone lol. Bless, 1.
Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

Heh. I've never been called a Rasta (most people I know don't even know who Rastas are), but I do have random people calling me...and asking for weed! I haven't smoked weed in nearly four years! And honestly, I don't have anything against people who do (*responsibly), but it's quite insulting when people make such assumptions. One incident a few months ago involving a coworker could have gotten me fired from my job. :(

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
11 years ago
100 posts
Now that id be offended by! But thar actually used to happen to me when i had a fade, lol maybe i just have one of those faces...
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form