dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New to the whole dread-thing :-)

TineR
@tiner
11 years ago
3 posts

Hi there...

So I just "finished" the last of approx 80 dreadlocks. Actually they are far from finished, but my own hair is only 3-4 inches long, and now each dread has a extension, so it looks like I have hair down to the chest. My GOD this was a lot of work!!! I had to get a friend to help me in the back, but as none of my friends know anything about dreads, it is quite the disaster back there :-D

In the front I did twist and rip, but slowly incorporated a few strains of hair at a time, creating very natural looking and beautiful dreads. However I realised 3-4 dreads a day, might not a pace I could live with, so most of the extensions where made by making the dread first and then applying it into my hair with a crochet needle. Not as great looking, especially since I ran out of hair in matching color and there are more bulking where my hair meets some unknown indian womens hair, but I think it will work out once I dye the hair and it starts really dreading up :-) I'm already getting many compliments, so I suppose it doesn't look as bad as I describe...

Before getting dreads I looked at a billion youtube videos, until I found a girl who had dreads that I liked and a hairtype very similar to mine and checked out all her dread related videos. This is why I used the method I did, and I feel it was the perfect solution for me. Thank God for that! Since she promotes no waxing and just using things like lemon juice and aloe, I was saved from making that mistake :-D

I'm not done adding to the lenght I think, and I also haven't decided on which ends I want. Right now it is completely silly, because I have 50/50 loose ends and cut ends (a result of the different methods) I think I prefer the loose ends, but I'm not sure if it looks too messy...

Well that's my journey so far. Please leave tips and tricks for me, I sure as h*ll could use them :-D

updated by @tiner: 01/13/15 09:44:20PM
Eddy St. King
@eddy-st-king
11 years ago
50 posts

Oh boy. So many red flags here. I'm gonna let SE take care of it when he gets here but here are your main problems:

Watching youtube dread videos. Major mistake. A good amount of them use horrible methods. In addition you are tailoring your dreads after some one else's and basically diluting your own individuality in the end product. It's not really an experience, it's dread cloning.

Crochet. Using a crochet needle effectively just set back your dreads an additional 6 months of recovery. The hair grows extremely slow. Very Very bad for the scalp. Look up traction alopecia that's what crocheting causes. It makes your hair roots weaker than normal over time and they will eventually break off. In addition they create the look of "manufactured" dreads also that look identical and robotic.

Dread Extensions: Okay so I'm really not sure why you would use those as you said your hair is about 4 inches long. Depending on your hair texture (especially if you have African texture) your hair could've naturally started dreading by itself. If it's not that texture you should've waited for it to grow out more before deciding to TwistnRip.

I hope you take a look at this before things get kinda bad.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

no lemon juice thatseeps into the inner layer and eats away at it weakening the hair

no aloe that conditions slowing dreadinbg

no crochrt hooks!

leave the ends loose

blunt eands take way longerto dry

and finaly youir going to hate tge extentions and cut em off so wehy put em on plus extentions really shouldnt be added till u have established dreads at least 8 months old

by that time they are done shrinking sso why bother

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
TineR
@tiner
11 years ago
3 posts
Now, I never said that I used the crochet method, I used a crochet needle to add exteensions into my own hair, I didn't break my own at all :-)Even on this site I've seen aloe promoted, and read that it was way better to use than wax?? Confusing :-)We will just have to see about the extensions, luckely no one can tell the future and right now I simply love them so much! Having long hair to braid and such has been my dream for years :-) Just kept screwing it up by dyeing the hair and it already grows really slow...Don't really know how to reply to the other stuff. I have different reasons for growing my dreads. For me it's not a spirituel journey, it's just a hairstyle and I want it to look good. Individuality is in no way needed in my look, I have too much in my personality already ;-) And boy, could I clone her dreads I would :-)I think I'll leave the ends loose, drying time is a very valid point :-)BTW I'm a fine haired ginger girl:-)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

aloe is good but it conditions its going to slow the dread process so it should only be used on mature dreads or 1 or 2 times for a wedding or other formal event not for regular use untill masture its way too early to use it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

I have been a member of this site for several years. I have seen where people have started their dreads with extensions. In all the instances i have seen.....they fall out or are taken out. Your 4 inch babies are new. They need to be able to loosen up and then tighten up in order to dread. Having the weight of the extensions is going to keep that from happening. Also baby dreads are not solid enough to support that weight. You will be re-attaching them constantly. My hair was to my lower back. It shrank to above my shoulders in a 2 year period. It took years to get to the length it is now. I got to watch it grow, it made me love and appreciate them more. i would hate to lose that experience by having insta length.

Also myth and religion contains stories of the hair holding and using power. There are knot spells in Wicca where the process of braiding hair is used. Samson had his 7 locks cut off and lost his strength. I can go on but the point i am trying to make is......whose power and whose karma are knotted into your head? I want my own strength...my own power....my own hair.

Crystalyn
@crystalyn
11 years ago
38 posts

I wish I could like the comment above!

I too have heard of folklore/ancient stories of powers in hair. There was atribe who was captured by white men. The captors cut off the long grown hair of theese magnificent warriors. they sent them out (as slaves) to do thier hunting for them... they were no longer great warriors/huntsmen. they had lost thier power.

A good friend told me that story. hes had his (beautiful) dreads for over two years now. Tjhey started very short and now they are just awesome, and long, and wonderful. He told me that story when i was growing my hair out to donate (i donated 20 inches) i really wanted to dread then, but i had already decided to donate and wanted to fullfill that wish first. Anyways i thoguht it was a very powerful and provoking tale. when i did cut my hair, i noticed a change in myself that was different, i still felt good, and happy about my decision, but wanted to quickly grow out my hair and dread it... lol. it has only been about 9 months since my cut/donation, and my hair isnt very long yet, but i am starting my dread journey. All natural.

The people on this site who have been dreading many years have nothing but love and great advice to share... on that note..

...I would at least consider taking out the extensions, you never know it might become more than just an "awesome hairstyle" for you, and wouldnt the adventure be something to rememeber anyways!? Happy dreading! You have def come to the right site for the right kind of support and love for dreads!

Have a fantastic day!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form