Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Starting over

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
11 years ago
158 posts
So my dreads are just over a year old, and I've decided to start over and go the neglect route. I've got about one third of them combed out so far. I originally backcombed, used wax and crocheted. Plus my sectioning felt unnatural. Horrible, I know. That's why I'm combing them out and starting over. I want to let them dread how they want, and I want to enjoy the process and watch it all from the very beginning. One question I do have for the natural process is how do I avoid a part in my hair? My hair will be down while I let it dread, abd there will be a part on top. So what do I do to avoid it dreading and forming a part? I know that's not a big deal, but that was one advantage I found with putting dreads in, was controlling where they go.
updated by @cristin-nessen: 02/14/15 08:34:14AM
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

I have a natural part on my head. It is no big deal. It bothered me at first. but dreads are gonna do what they want lol. I don't have a straight part, but it is there.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Sometimes you can't avoid it. But if you don't aggressively separate all the way to your scalp, there will always be a tangled mess at the roots. If you do have a part, it most likely won't benoticeableunder the loose frizzy hair

JXhippielovinpeace
@jxhippielovinpeace
11 years ago
23 posts

Respect. Wow. That's really brave of you!

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
11 years ago
158 posts
Thanks for the info and tips!And thank you JXhippielovinpeace! It's been something I've just felt like I needed to do. I got off to a bad start with this set, and just haven't felt fully satisfied with the experience the way I now know I would with a natural set. I'm pretty excited! :)
Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
11 years ago
158 posts
One more question, and I'm sure it's in the forums somewhere, but my phone limits my browsing lol. How do I know where/when to separate?
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

There will be hairs that try to bind 2 or more dreads together. You just need to pull those dreads apart. I usuallyseparatemine once a week right after i wash them. It makes it easier to do when they are wet. Some people need to do it more often.

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
11 years ago
158 posts
Okay cool! I feel so weird asking, because I've had this set id dreads for a while, but going the neglect route just seems so foreign and new to me, so I almost feel like a first-timer lol. With neglect am I still able to control the size, or should I separate only where they're trying to separate? I kinda want some fatter ones this time :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

thety will dread any wich way and the part will just disapear

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

u can if u want em fatter dont seperate em as much if thinner seperate em to keep em thin

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form