Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Is it gross to not wash your dreads after sweating?

Sarahface
@sarah16
11 years ago
108 posts

I am a member at a gym and I sweat a LOT when I go. I haven't been since I started dreading (with the Holidays and such.) and was planning on starting back pretty hardcore, which will mean lots of wet, sweaty dreads.

I know sweat probably wont "hurt" your dreads. I am just wondering if it would be disgusting to not wash them every time? I've never not washed my hair after working out, it seems like it'd be unhygienic. But what if I were to go to the gym once every other day? Wouldn't I be washing them too much?

updated by @sarah16: 02/14/15 05:21:24PM
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

The problem with washing dreads so often is the risk of mold if they stay wet too long. Maybe a quick wash of the scalp on the days you're not washing your hair properly will be OK?

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

As long as you make sure they are dry, and you have a good quality dread shampoo, I think you'll be fine, I use dreadlockshampoo.com, I've had to wash four days ina row before, because of working outside in the heat and dust, and my dreads and scalp were fine. I would be happy to wash every other day, SE recommends 3-4 times a week anyway. I think???

peace and blessings

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

going to a gym more then 2 or 3 times a weeks crazy anyway but it depends how nsty your sweat is if u eat alotta meat and processed foofs especialy lu]ike tbv doinner crap you will stink like a dead rotting pile of crap. gross if your vegatarianor vegan with a real good diet yiu wont smell much at all unless you have a high bacteria count

raw vegans who really pay close attention to diet virtualy have no nad odors typicaly

your sweat releases alotta toxins sweat lodges are used in healing and purifying the intence sweat sucks all the toxic crap out of ypir body

pure sweat is salt water

nothing gross about it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

in FAQS section, it states, washing 1-3 times a week is optimal. So three times a week is nearly every other day anyway. :)

k money
@k-money
11 years ago
114 posts

i lift 6x week, and wash every other day although id like to wash everyday. so half the time i dont wash after sweating. its not working that well for me though as far as progress goes, so idk what id do if i were you. every other day seems to work good for some though, from what i hear

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

What do you wash with? I used liquid dreadlock shampoo every other day, that stuff is crazy. Heaps of progress.

k money said:

i lift 6x week, and wash every other day although id like to wash everyday. so half the time i dont wash after sweating. its not working that well for me though as far as progress goes, so idk what id do if i were you. every other day seems to work good for some though, from what i hear

k money
@k-money
11 years ago
114 posts

thats what i use too, the unscented kind. my hair is just dreading very very slow.

Natty Dave
@natty-dave
11 years ago
56 posts

the excess salt from the sweat might help with new growth to dread up, but you want to keep things from getting gross or greasy; you can also rinse with just water if you need

Bree
@bree
11 years ago
19 posts

I guess it depends on your preference. I exercise quite a bit and only wash my dreads every 3 days, so about 2 to 3 times a week. I sweat when I exercise so sometimes I go 2 days without washing and I don't smell and my scalp is fine..... Try not to wash after and see how you feel, it might not be as gross as you think.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form