Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What now?

Lars Graversen
@lars-graversen
11 years ago
19 posts

I'm very glad i found this website, because i was very confused about how to maintain my young dreads.

I have read for a couple of months before i got my dreads, but it seems like 80% of this information is wrong.

I got my dreads 2 weeks ago. 2 of my friends did them, only by backcombing and rolling them. Not sure if this is an ok method, tho i hope so. They made 59 dreads out of my hair, which i was really suprised, since one of my friends, friend only had 24, and i thought that she had alot of dreads, lol.
I was told to "lock" the ends with a crochet too, should i just leave the ends?

Anyways, i want to know; what to do now?
How should i maintain them at this early stage?
I was told to use Knotty boy wax and crocheting, which i soon found out not to do (i haven't done either of the things luckely), but i dont know how to do it the proper way.

Here is a few pics i just took:

Thanks!

updated by @lars-graversen: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Hillmom (Wendy)
@hillmom-wendy
11 years ago
12 posts
I have no idea as I'm a noon myself. I would also love those answers.
Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
Just wash 2-3 times a week and separate when needed. Baking soda wash followed by an apple code vinegar rinse is great, dreadlockshampoo.com liquids and bars are amazing.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

absolutely no wax or crochet they didnt do a very good job of backcombing either but thats ok u never had to backcomb anyway (or palm roll) backcomb is a ok method not f=great its fairly damagging but not extremely like crochet..wax is just dumb

anyone that suggests wax u should not let touch your dreads

theres nothing to it now wash with a dread shampoo and seperate as needed nothing else at wll absolutely do not wax or crochet and tell them how bad wax and crochet are

let me guess they have only been dreading 2 months ?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lars Graversen
@lars-graversen
11 years ago
19 posts

Thanks for the reply's.

I thought i needed to maintain them everyday??? Damn danes have confused me lol.

I will just wash them 2-3 times a week, but how do i seperate them??

Soaring eagle, ive had them for only 2 weeks.

Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
To separate just grab on to two that are growing together and pull in opposite directions. It's ok not go all the way to the scalp, you just want to keep them from growing together creating massive dreads that require extra special care.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

why would anyone ever want dreds if they had to maintain them every day if u di that they wi[ont last a year they will fall off

these are my dreads

zero maintenance ever

just wash and seperate and havent even seperated in years really

they need nothing..at all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
Crocheting does nothing but destroy your hair. When you insert the hook, it breaks hairs. when you pull it back out, you break hundreds more hairs. Do that repeatedly, even with one session, you'll be breaking just about every hair in the section you're working on. Long term crocheted dreads can literally fall off. That's not a cute look.Wax doesn't create dreads, it creates the illusion of dreads. It just sticks hairs together in a dread shape. Over time, because wax doesn't was out, it holds moisture inside the 'dread'. That causes mold and mildew and a really nasty smell. It'll rot your hair. Wax is for candles and floors. Crochet hooks are for making lace, scarves and sweaters.
Lars Graversen
@lars-graversen
11 years ago
19 posts

And you have the aboslute most stunning dreads i've ever seen!
I just hope that mine will look so nice one day. Damn.

So now, all i have to do is keep them clean, seperate and just wait.

Lars Graversen
@lars-graversen
11 years ago
19 posts

Thanks for the reply's Mons, it helped alot.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form