Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How much separating should I do?

Mirela
@mirela
12 years ago
5 posts
Hi everyone, I've been letting my head dread for about 3 weeks, maybe a month I don't really know.The way I started my dreads was to not comb for a few weeks and my hair seemed to make itself into sections so I took a few of those sections and tnr'd lightly (not all of them).Now it seems like some of them want to form together, 2 or 3 little ones becoming 1 bigger dread and I was wondering if I should just let them do that or will that eventually Congo my whole head? How much should I separate them all? Is it just personal preference? Is it silly to think they want to be with certain other ones & let them do that? Thanks for the advice:)Mirela
updated by @mirela: 01/13/15 09:42:36PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

its personal prefference but there are reasons not to want them bigger then an inch

they are ay harder to care fp]or to clean to prevent mold etc

id wait till more mature to let em congo tho just cause they thicken up

if u congo now they may end up way too thick later

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Danielle2
@danielle2
12 years ago
8 posts

At one point, around 2 to 3 months, I was separating daily. Then that went to once a week. I went 3 weeks without doing it, and it hurt sooo bad when I finally got to it, so I stayed on top of it after that to once a week. Now at 7 months, I don't really have to do anything. Instead of them eating each other like they used to, it's more separating some loose hair going into dreads it shouldn't.

ღHippie Loveღ
@hippie-love
12 years ago
80 posts

I been separating every other day when I wash my babies.. In the messy baby stage it is needed more than when they are more adults to make sure they do not congo. Like SE said is very true.

Tim5
@tim5
12 years ago
359 posts

When I separate, I am pulling the dreads in opposite directions from each other. Just leaving connecting hairs as close to the scalp as possible. That way, the dreads won't grow together into one dread, but they are still connected. anda said:

I just want to be clear to if I am doing it right. I just grab the 2 dreads that have hairs seeping into each other and pull up towards the roots, right? I have hairs that are going from some dreads into others and at first I would take those hairs out of the dread sucking them up since I thought that was how I was suppose to do it...but when I watched Baba's video, it seems I let the hairs stay in the different dread, even ones that it doesn't feel right for? Like..I have a ton or different areas where some are pulling hairs from the middle of one dread into the top of a different dread and it just feels strange. But that is normal, right?

Hippie Love said:

I been separating every other day when I wash my babies.. In the messy baby stage it is needed more than when they are more adults to make sure they do not congo. Like SE said is very true.

Mirela
@mirela
11 years ago
5 posts
Thanks for the replies everyone! I will just keep them in the sizes they are now then and see how thick they get!It seems like I need to separate every 2 or 3 days right now, my hair loves being tangled:)Amanda and Tim what you guys said was really helpful too, I was wondering the exact same about some stray hairs feeling like they're in the wrong dreads-- so I shouldn't pull individual hairs out if they seem to be in the wrong sections? Just tug everything away from each other and if there's random hairs from far away caught just leave em be?
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form