Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

my locs are pretty rough....

V2
@v2
12 years ago
75 posts

I am wondering if anyone know how to deep nurture my locs and scalp. They are pretty rough like not even nice to touch. I did a deep cleaning last weekend, and it s gotten worst since then. For deep cleaning i used baking soda, ACV, lemon juice and tea tree and i soaked my hair for about 20 mins in it. Luckly my hair didn't seem to be as dirty as i thought, but i wanted to remove build up since they were stiff. I deep conditioned after, but still pretty rough and dry. Any suggestions? I posted some pictures.

One Love

updated by @v2: 02/14/15 01:49:28AM
James Colby Justice
@james-colby-justice
12 years ago
75 posts

Do you use sea salt? If so then how do you use it and how much? I know that when I used too much my scalp got sper dry and flaky, but since I cut down my scalp has gotten a lot better. I actually mixed it with my shampoo but the spray is a lot less harsh ecause its applied lightly. Over blow drying your scalp will cause a lot of dryness too. Also, how often do you wash?

V2
@v2
12 years ago
75 posts

I don't use sea salt often only when i do special bath, tops once every two month. I wash at least once a week and I do blow dry mildly.

James Colby Justice
@james-colby-justice
12 years ago
75 posts

Maybe you could try washing more often for a little while? I'm no expert, but exposing your scalp to water may help. I know that when I was trying to increase the time between washes I waited too long and had this same problem. By the way, the dreads look good!

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
First, no lemon juice. It soaks into the hair itself, breaks down the integrity of your hair, making it weak and more prone to breakage.Second, don't mix baking soda and apple cider vinegar together. It causes a chemical reaction. Bubbles and foam. Very messy! Plus you don't want to leave (soak) the vinegar in for that long, it's conditioning and can set back or stall progress.Third, what do you normally wash with? How often?Fourth, what did you deep condition with?Last, you could try a few drops of jojoba oil In a spray bottle with water to moisturize your hair and scalp.Baking soda rinses (or deep cleanse) can be left on for 20-30 minutes before being rinsed out. Then do a quick rinse with acv to reset the pH of your scalp. This usually makes your hair nice and soft and squeaky clean.The actual texture of the dreads themselves is kinda rough, kind of like felt or wool, compared to what undreaded hair feels like. It's because of the millions of knots your hair is tied into.
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

Lemon juice is bad for your hair. It makes it brittle. Use some jojoba in your next BS wash, or coat your dreads in pure aloe. It will condition them well.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

wait did u mix all that into 1 mix u never use lemion juice! never mix baking si=oda and vinager what you creatted is a comoletely diferent chemical then u want wich yea probly would harm your hair

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

try these www.dreadlockshampoo.com the bars

if thats not enough put a lil jojoba in alotta water pout=r i[on after and 1/2 rinse it (to spread o=it through not realy rinse it out)

--
V2
@v2
12 years ago
75 posts

yes that's what i mixed. lol i usually use black soap on my hair to wash it or dr. broomer's. I conditioned it with olive oil treatment. I just put some oil straight on my scalp last night and that has helped with the itchiness. is there anything else that i could use that's more easily available to deep condition my hair?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

jojoba or aloe and no wonder its roiugh that mix was very harsh

didnt you notice it foaming and gettinghotter even if u used cold water

thats what they use to simulate a volcanic eruption in science fairs

they chemicaly reace violently

id really recomend u get the www.dreadlockshampoo.com bars and an aloe plant

and wash more often

--