Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Preventing my scalp issue

«arrows_of_the_rainbow☼
@arrows-of-the-rainbow
12 years ago
75 posts

I'll be starting dreads come Jan 1st. I already had them for 2 1/2 months last year (late Jan-March). With regular hair (as in non-dreaded hair, of course dreads are actually more normal and natural!) I already have to wash my hair pretty much every day. If I skip a day, I get small white flakes. I have no problems with the way I wash my hair, I've just always had a really dry scalp I guess; I also have thick hair and quite a bit of it, currently down to my shoulders.

When I started my dreads the first time around, I had major buildup of the 'white flakes'. 2 1/2 months after starting, it wasn't looking good at all. I had whole clumps of white crap, even though I was washing every other day. So I took them out with loads of olive oil and a comb. I'm excited to go back to dreads, but I'm worrying I'll have the buildup again, which was just disgusting. Everywhere I laid my head, on a couch or against a headrest of a car seat, I'd leave little white skin flakes.

I know the first two months are supposed to be the "worst" of it, but the kind of buildup I had didn't seem like it was going away anytime soon. I usedLockin Up Liquid Shampoo - Dragons Blood by Bucks County Soap, which I really loved, the smell was amazing!

However, I was thinking maybe a BS/ACV would be better? (or I could alternate) I use vinegar currently (not dreading yet) out of my 6 or 7 washes per week to keep my scalp not too dry/moist, so it seems a BS/ACV wash would be the way to go. But wouldn't vinegar slow down the dreading process?

Any other recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Ryan

updated by @arrows-of-the-rainbow: 01/13/15 09:42:04PM
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
You could try the tea tree/rosemary bar from Buck's, they may make it in a liquid as well. I had to switch from their stuff to bs/acv, even tho I didn't want to.Baking soda is a base, it raises the pH of your skin. Which after a few washes can a Gaulle make the dry itchy scalp more of a problem. Apple cider vinegar is an acid, it resets the pH. In the first few months, use a very small amount of acv (about a cap full) to 4 cups or water. Pour it on and rinse right away. Don't let it sit like you do bs.Adding tea tree oil and rosemary oils to the bs rinse and lavender oil to the acv rinse will help a lot with the flakeys and any itching.
Diego F.
@diego-f
12 years ago
73 posts

i had this for 6 months... i think it's called psoriasis... ti was worse on my hairline...

it was annoying, but i got rid of that this month, on the sixth month, after 3 washes with spike lavender, and rosemary essential oil

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

all of that but also cut out all hot water hot water will make it worse too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
Hahaha yeah, rinse with very cold water. I must be blocking out that bit becaus it's rather unpleasant right now with the cold weather.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form