Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Ponytail while dreading (job)

«arrows_of_the_rainbow☼
@arrows-of-the-rainbow
12 years ago
75 posts

So I'll be starting my dreads come jan 1st, I had them last Feb/March 2012, but I had to take them out due to issues-but that's another story.

I'm worrying that I'll have to wear my hair up for my job. My last job was during the summer and I had to wear my hair in a ponytail then (non-dreaded hair). I was in school full-time from Sep-Dec, but come January I'll be looking for a job. I have hair to my shoulders so I'm most likely gonna have to put my hair up for my job, or so I'm guessing.

I know it's best to not have any ponytail at all, or at least to have a very loose pony tail. Will this slow down the dreading process a lot? I mean the minute I'm off work I'd take it out. Any other suggestions?

This is my biggest concern right now, maybe I'll be lucky in finding a job where I don't need to put my hair up but my hair's so big, thick, and wavy I doubt it'd be "acceptable" to have my hair down..

updated by @arrows-of-the-rainbow: 02/14/15 05:15:16PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

what kinda job why wouldn't it be appropriate

not worth worrying about till they say u gotta tie it up

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
When you eat a job ask if you can wear a had instead of having your hair pulled back. Then find a plain black tam or slouchy beanie. If not then a loose ponytail will be ok, it will restrict movement and slow progress a bit. But like you already said, take it out as soon as you clock off. Also wai until you get to work to pull it back. Good luck on the job search!
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
Umm when you get (not eat) and hat (not had) lol
«arrows_of_the_rainbow☼
@arrows-of-the-rainbow
12 years ago
75 posts

well I have no idea what kind of job I'll be getting but my previous job was in construction, but I won't be getting into that this time around. I thought most jobs required to have one's hair up, at least near minimum wage jobs like the ones I'll be searching for, maybe in the food industry or something, I don't have the slightest clue.

soaring eagle said:

what kinda job why wouldn't it be appropriate

not worth worrying about till they say u gotta tie it up

haha, I do have a huge tam from last year that I could use I guess. Like I said before, I have no idea what kind of job I'll be getting. I was under the impression most jobs require your hair, but I really wouldn't know, I've been mostly attending school full-time and had short hair during my first few jobs and only one job with long hair.

Mons said:

Umm when you get (not eat) and hat (not had) lol
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
Unfortunately there are a lot of places that would require your hair pulled back and/or covered. I work at a grocery store, our dress code requires our hair to be professionally colored and styled (for those of us not working in one of the departments, prepping food). I just pull mine back in a pony/bun and no one has said anything to me. I also avoid any of the bigwigs like the plague. This in the depts (deli, bakery, meat) are required to have thei hair pulled back and/or covered for both health and personals safety.My oldest some got a job in a distribution warehouse, he could do as he pleased with his hair, have visible piercings and tattoos. As long as there's not heavy machinery or food involved, you most likely will be able to do anything with your mop!
Natty Dave
@natty-dave
12 years ago
56 posts

my fiance uses a bandana to tie hers back for work, its not because she has to, but because she cleans houses and wants to keep it out of her face, she seperates them so they dont become one huge congo, but the restricted movement means that new growth has a chance a harder time working its was into the dreads so you might get more loose hair on top, but maybe sleeping in a tam would help? if you could wear a tam while working that would be a good deal too.

Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

How long are your dreads? Some people can tie their dreads using another couple of dreads. If that works it could be cool. If not, I'd be opting for the tam. If you really must tie it in a pony tail, make sure it is loose. You don't want them being pinched tightly at one spot the whole time.

«arrows_of_the_rainbow☼
@arrows-of-the-rainbow
11 years ago
75 posts

Sorry I'm so late with my response, I was away with family.

I haven't started dreads yet, I started them last year but undid the few baby dreads I had after 3 months. I'm going to be starting them again in a couple weeks.

I guess it all depends on the job. I'll probably have to do a ponytail, however it's only a part-time job while I go to school.

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts
You have to be careful not to tie them too tightly, or you will cause a weak spot in them and maybe a funny shape to some of them.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form