Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Advice

Karlin Buck
@karlin-buck
12 years ago
28 posts

So I think I have decided to go against your recommendation and I want to start with the tnr and let things go from there. Wash and separate. My question is how should I prep my hair? Also, what size sections would you recommend?

updated by @karlin-buck: 02/14/15 05:50:34AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

let it section itself naturally, if u force sections often it will reject the sections and tery to spliit whwere it normaly would section itself

if u do force sections mke em random none o er an inch anything from pencil size up to an inch

to prep start washing with a non residue dread soap or thebakinmg soda

u might wantto wash once at least with a slarifying or anti residue shampoo this will strip built up residues from conditioners hairspragys and other products

if you go with naturul sectioning it takes only a few days to a week typicaly to section

if u see dreads foprm in a week just let it go natural from there

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Karlin Buck
@karlin-buck
12 years ago
28 posts

If I go natural, will I have any control over the size of my dreads? There have been a few occasions in yay life that natural dreads have formed on accident and they were like huge masses in the back of my head. Especially from sleeping, when I was little I would get "birds nests" overnight haha. I am still very interested in the all natural approach, just a little hard for me to lose control over something so important to me, I am a licensed hair stylist.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ofcoudrrse u just have to seperate alot early on to keep them thin if it dreads that fast then naturals the way to go but u will have to seperate alot since it dreds so fast

--
Karlin Buck
@karlin-buck
12 years ago
28 posts

here is my hair in its naturally dried state. how much do you think they may shrink? how long before i start to notice dreads? how long until they are passed the loopy stage and really starting to form?

Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

Your hair is long and will shrink considerably. Unfortunately, everyone is different, so we cannot tell you how much it will shrink... Only that it will definitely benoticeable. Hari is probably right though. 50% would be a rough guess. But you will still have some longish dreads when it does.

How long will it take to dread? As I said, everyone is different, but from your description it may be very fast indeed. However, it takes a year on average to grow matured dreads, regardless of the method you use.

If you want to TnR to speed up the process a bit, then wait a couple of weeks for sections to naturally form. Then, decide if you like the size of the section and do the TnR. Keep in mind, the largest you want a section to be is about one square inch. When a dread matures, it will shrink in length, but grow in with to roughly the size of the section at the scalp. If you looking for thin, then pull the bigger ones in half.

It is worth mentioning, however, that it is best to have both big and smaller sections. This looks best (more natural) and is healthiest for your scalp.

Whatever method you choose, relish the journey.

Karlin Buck
@karlin-buck
12 years ago
28 posts

This is all wonderful advice. Feeling very confident and excited to start my journey

Karlin Buck
@karlin-buck
12 years ago
28 posts

How difficult is it to seperate forming dreads? Should I try to sperate every day or just after washing? I've researched the heck out dreads still not clear

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

it depends typicaly u only have to after washing but some that dread super faxst may haveto more often its easy to do if u keep ontop of it and do it while damp

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ok just sw the pic and can make a rough guestimate

shrink to the shoulders

dread in no time

weeks you will see dreading starting the loopy stage will be magiificant

some loop early some late i think u will loop early and settle in 7-8 months in

thats a lil harder to rpreduict but definately think it will start dreading quickly

it'll section in days

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form