dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

ryans twist and rip dreading guide and video

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts

Find more videos like this on dreadlock forums
I'd like to provide some more detailed instruction here--but note that I'm new to this. All I know is that I'm creating knots that don't need wax and haven't yet come undone in the shower.I begin the process by sectioning my hair. This is a matter of individual preference. I actually started by sectioning it myself, but had my girlfriend start doing a few rows at a time. You might spot some rubber bands. Those are just to keep the sections neat until I can T&R them together.The process is fairly simple. Gather the section in your fingers and twirl it. I spin clockwise relative to my face. I don't know if this is relevant. Don't twist it too tight, or when you go to rip it, it will bunch up way too densely to reach the root end of your hair, and you'll end up with a long length of straight hair between the knots and your roots. Instead, twirl lightly. Then slide your fingers slowly toward the tip of the bunch, until you feel the end of some hair. Next, split that bunch into two, and pull it apart. The crotch of the separated bunch should slide down to the scalp. Don't pull too hard. You may not be able to see, but you just made a thin layer of tangles. Now, without retwisting, grab a little bit of hair from one half of the bundle and pull it into the other half. You only need to retwist every three or four rips, or when the hair gets too bulbous. When that time comes, hold the knotted section in your fingers and roll it so it's even. Use this action to push any loose loops up into the bundle of unknotted hair. Then retwist and repeat. Once you get a good layer of knots between your scalp and the ripping, you can pull the hair apart pretty hard. Just don't go pulling your hair out. note from soaringeagle, the video and text of the 1st post came from here and were made by ryan emmel, i just reposted it in the forum for him

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 01/13/15 08:29:42PM
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
15 years ago
85 posts
I'll be keeping photos of progress in this album , in case anybody wants to watch. I plan to post weekly pics, updated Sundays.
Ivan
@ivan
15 years ago
88 posts
thanks a lot man, this really helped.
Giuliano Pagano
@giuliano-pagano
15 years ago
55 posts
thanks for uploading this!! im going to be dreading my hair on saturday, ill be sure to follow this videos guidelines and let you know how it worked :)
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
15 years ago
85 posts
Just keep in mind that this is "my" method, and it's what seemed to work for my hair. It's kinda painstaking, but I get tight, solid, evenly round baby dreads. You could probably skip the finger rolling process and finish your whole head in a day. I'm on day 4 and I'm not halfway through my head.I guess my point is to make sure you "listen" to your hair and trust your intuition to guide your own method.
Antony
@antony
15 years ago
80 posts
I should have watched a video before I did mine. Mine were sloppy and came a little undone, but luckily it came back naturally.
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
15 years ago
85 posts
From what I'm reading, it's supposed to come undone first, and then do its thing. I'm doing this first because I want more control over the size and sectioning than if I just let my hair dread on it's own.Also, one thing to think about before using this method: I've noticed that the process results in occasional sections that look braided. I have faith that it will work out and look natural eventually, but it's something to keep in mind.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
in the loosies i get around my bangs when they blow in my face and bug me i do interlocking/root flipping (yea very bad to do if you do it to tighten roots, but if done VERY loosly its harmless) the results look braided but in a few weeks time dread up just finewhat i do is tie a knot in the tip, then flip it through the loose hair underneath just a few times through random places towards the roots..i may only do 6 or so flips in 6 inches hair so its nowhere near tight..just holds it together to alow it to dread (since its just lil loose hairs round the bangs these are usualy pretty thin sections)often these new dreads get swallowwed by other dreads but when they dont they come out looking fine once dreadedim not recomending this method howeveri only use it cause its easy to do with 1 hand and my 1 hands got nerve dammage so twist and rip is hard to do for me..i may have chevy do a couole soon by twist and rip, or just throw in some hair wraps and let em dreadid preffer natural ofcourse but i tend to unknot the bangs in my sleep i think

--
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
15 years ago
85 posts
okay, so it's one week since I started on this, and I'm noticing two things:First, the front half of my head that I managed to twist and rip is unraveling. I'd say I've lost 1-2" of knots all around. This may be from overwashing, or it may simply be the nature of my soft straight hair. I'm not really worried about it, but it's mildly frustrating.Second, the back half of my head that I have not been able to section or T&R appears to be sectioning itself into loose bundles. This might just be bedhead, but the washing regimen is probably helping let the hair tangle.I'm seriously considering just letting the back end do it's thing. T&R is grueling, and I've been at it for a week. I'm concerned that having the front of my head sectioned and the back end natural will look funky...But it kinda fits in with the whole Gemini personality I seem to exhibit.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
in the end you'kk probly love the ones that formed naturaly the best anyway, but over time they'll blend together more

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form