Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Money or Dreads?

Samson
@samson
12 years ago
21 posts

I am caught between two worlds that are clashing like swords. I am currently in the world of business, money is being made, and people are beginning to see their lives change. However, my business partners feel that my choice to grow dreadlocks may hurt our image. You see, people are really judgmental when they see a Natty dread walking around, they may associate stereotypes that may trigger words such as Rasta, Africa, Marijuana, Dirty... However, my heart is strong and nobody can shake the fruits from my tree. I am willing to make it work but don't know how to come about it. What you guys think?

updated by @samson: 02/14/15 04:55:29AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

dreads wont keep u from money but if money will keep u from dreds you dont need that money anywaty

\

u can do any job u want wo=ith dreads if the job wont allow dreads dont allow the job

ive been offered 10-100 grand to cut mine ..but wouldnt for a hundred million

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Dreadlocks and money aren't antonyms. Look it up. You can keep your locks and still make money. There are things you can do to make them look more professional without destroying them. You could wear a nice bandanna, a plain black tam, scarf. Anything. But if you really want locks, and really like the job, there's nothing in the world stopping you from having both. If people won't deal with you because you have locks, find other people to deal with

Samson
@samson
12 years ago
21 posts

It's true if they want to work with me they must accept me for what I am.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

remember also in corporations the workers probly earn 1 dollar for every 1000 the ceo earns the work u do isearning the company way way more money then they pay you to do the work

if yoir good at making the company money theyd be stupid to fire u

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

it was funny 1 time i had a meeting with the mayor (philly but was many years back) i got there early so stopped into the mayers action center to talk to the head of the center about some community improvement projects i was working on

im sitting there talking to her when this dude in 3 peice suite walks in drops some papers on her desk and starts talking to her bout ..i fi]orget what..some city business

she glares at him grabs him by his tie pulling his face so their noses almost bumped

she says yo see this guy here? do you think your really more important then him just cause u got a tie and hes got dreads? i want you to appologize to him then go sit out there and wait your turn

i craxked up

i knew from that momment on i had a go to person in the mayors office whenever i needed to get things done

in business you will run into 1 or 2 ignorant pricks that think they are better then you just cause they are clean cut and look like everyone else

sometimes you will just have to remoind em that they are no better then u in any way

u might just have to prove u can do the job just as good as them..and on ovccassion even do a lil bit betterThen theres no denying your worth

--
Samson
@samson
12 years ago
21 posts

Ha, That's a great story, sometimes its important to be reminded that no one is better than anybody especially when it comes to material possessions. You've had your dreads for years and your wisdom must be vast. I just pray that my doors are open and not closed. I own the business in which I'm talking about so I don't have to work for anybody, but I do have to maintain a healthy relationship with my clients. Right now my hair is still in the beginning stages so its easy to maintain. I wonder how it's going to be in the future...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i dont understand what your dreads have toi do with keeping a healthy relationshio]ip with clients unles everytime you turn yor back they start telling yoir clients yoir ripping them off or something

your business ethics ..how u run yoir business determines the relationship to your clients that and how friendly ya are

i used to always get all mmy pc parts from 1 store (i upgraded it alot i had the same pc for 20 years just rebuilt it peice by peice over and over) cause the guy who owned the shop was very freindly always gave me the best discounts he could and treatted my like a friend not customer

u maintain that kinda integrety and your busines relations will be easily maintained

--
Dawn Gill
@dawn-gill
12 years ago
8 posts

just keep them clean and tight your clothes can balance out the statement

Ryan6
@shiftyeyes
12 years ago
19 posts

Now I did lose a job opportunity to my choice to dread.... It's nice and cute to believe that people will see your inner beauty off the start, but let's be real that isn't the truth. I'm a good guy, college educated (Masters Degree) quiet, polite, and respectful. But I was turned down for a job in a new test lab because of my tattoos and my choice to dread. I came in to my first meeting with the higher ups they looked me up and down and told me while I am over qualified and have more than enough experience I'm not what they are looking for. Now I dress well button up shirts, nice jeans or slacks, and I consider myself well groomed. But because of my tattoos and now my hair it's a big stereotype to fight off.

It is a sacrifice to have natural dreads and I can't put faith into anyone who says it isn't. But this is a lifestyle choice we all made willingly and have to accept the consequences that go along with it. I'd like to keep this idea that the world and the people who inhabit it are all accepting loving people, but they aren't. So it can be a serious decision if you exist in the professional world where appearance can make or break you.

In all honesty if dreads start to effect your business and effect you making money and keeping yourself afloat then I wouldn't do it. Yeah we can all sit here and talk about how you should be an individual and keep your journey and shine the rest of the rubes out there who scoff at it. But let's be realists, being unintentionally homeless sucks or having to go back to working for some one else sucks. Don't jepordize it if it comes to that.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form