dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Scalp dryness / dandruff

Yonatan Hurwitz
@yonatan-hurwitz
12 years ago
18 posts

Hey, gang.

My freeform dreads are going on 22 months now, and I am still having dandruff issues. My scalp flakes very easily, it seems. I use BS/ACV weekly, and am wondering what would be the best way to keep the scalp from drying up and flaking.

Is there some kind of moisturizer I can put directly on my scalp? aloe / jojoba / something like that? It would have to be something that wouldn't clog my pours or harm the hairs on my head.

I know the ACV is supposed to bring the scalp back to its normal PH level, but perhaps something is amiss.

Any thoughts?

updated by @yonatan-hurwitz: 01/13/15 09:41:08PM
Yonatan Hurwitz
@yonatan-hurwitz
12 years ago
18 posts

Forgot to mention that I use essential oils with the BS / ACV.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

how strong are u making the acxv u coiuld wash more u could switch to these www.dreadlockshampoo.com are u using hot water hot water will make dry itchy scalp worese

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Yonatan Hurwitz
@yonatan-hurwitz
12 years ago
18 posts

I fill a bucket with lukewarm or warm water, spill some acv in, mix, and then dunk my head in for a good 30 seconds. Simply pouring it on top of my head didn't yield satisfactory results. Initially, I try and use cold water for both the bs and acv. However, it is a breezy cold winter in Zion, and I do not want to get sick.

Thanks, but I can't order anything online, since I do not own an international credit card. Been using diluted bronners peppermint as a shampoo, on days when I don't do bs/acv.

If it is simply a matter of cold water usage, I suppose it could be done, but that might mean washing only once a week, in order to avoid getting sick.

soaring eagle said:

how strong are u making the acxv u coiuld wash more u could switch to these www.dreadlockshampoo.com are u using hot water hot water will make dry itchy scalp worese

Castaway J
@castaway-j
12 years ago
585 posts

yeah washing in winter is a pain in the arse but it can be made much easier with a decent sized fan placed on your back or head.

i noticed for me, as i have this same issue, that i can only manage it and cant seem to get rid of it completely. but i noticed that using hot or warm water at any point on my head with make it go crazy, so now i only use cold water to rinse, wash, rinse. also washing frequently like every other day will help your scalp. have you tried mixing in any rosemary essential oil orlavender?

Yonatan Hurwitz
@yonatan-hurwitz
12 years ago
18 posts

Haven't tried rosemary or lavender yet. Maybe I will once my paycheck rolls in.

Cheers!

Castaway J said:

yeah washing in winter is a pain in the arse but it can be made much easier with a decent sized fan placed on your back or head.

i noticed for me, as i have this same issue, that i can only manage it and cant seem to get rid of it completely. but i noticed that using hot or warm water at any point on my head with make it go crazy, so now i only use cold water to rinse, wash, rinse. also washing frequently like every other day will help your scalp. have you tried mixing in any rosemary essential oil orlavender?

Hans Miniar Jónsson
@hans-miniar-jnsson
12 years ago
74 posts

Dandruff "CAN" be caused by a fungal infection of the scalp.
That's why most anti-dandruff shampoos only work if you keep using 'em, because they only keep the fungus "under control", instead of removing it.

Dietary changes can have an effect on the health of the skin, and it can be useful to look into tea-tree, rosemary, and possibly an actual "anti-fungal" shampoo.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
12 years ago
585 posts

that is an excellent point Hans, and now that i think about it Coconut oil has helped my scalp out. extra virgin 100% organic. mix it in with coffee or juice or cook with it. its wonderful and makes you feelgreat too not to mention the hundred health benefits that it comes with. its also anti-fungal, from the inside out.

Hans Miniar Jnsson said:

Dandruff "CAN" be caused by a fungal infection of the scalp.
That's why most anti-dandruff shampoos only work if you keep using 'em, because they only keep the fungus "under control", instead of removing it.

Dietary changes can have an effect on the health of the skin, and it can be useful to look into tea-tree, rosemary, and possibly an actual "anti-fungal" shampoo.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form