Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Wet or dry?

Ivan
@ivan
15 years ago
88 posts
Hey everyone I'm about to start my journey next weekend and I was just wondering if after I wash my hair (with Bronner's bar soap) do I let it completely dry before backcombing, start when it's slightly damp, or just backcomb with the hair wet and all?Let me know how you did it and give me any advice/tips/suggestions. Any useful feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)
updated by @ivan: 02/14/15 04:40:02AM
Antony
@antony
15 years ago
80 posts
Let it completely dry. If you backcomb it wet, it'll smell musty from mold.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
wet hairs more easilyt dammaged but would knot tighter (not always a good thing to try getting it too tight right off the bat)i really wouldnt backcomb at all..id never go any way but natural, but id recomend twist and rip over backcombingi dunno why ppl backcomd except that wax pushers recomend it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
15 years ago
85 posts
I tried wet and dry, back combing and twist/ripping. I found that dry worked better, and that my backcombed work fell out pretty quickly. Maybe I was too gentle. The twist/ripping is holding together much better.
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
15 years ago
362 posts
I would twist and rip when you're hair is completely dry. Being damp or wet will have the hair in it's most fragile state, so you would probably break more hairs than you would knot. I suggest the twist and rip for the same reasons: you get a more noticeable hold, without damaging your hair as much, plus the new dreads seem to stay moderately tame as compared to the fuzzy mess that is a backcombed dread. I tried to backcomb a few of my ends in the beginning, and it was just a waste of my time that fell out very quickly.
Ivan
@ivan
15 years ago
88 posts
thank you all so much for the feedback, i'm now highly considering to go the twist/rip way instead of backcombing.keep it coming!
hippie mama
@hippie-mama
15 years ago
154 posts
i would say dry for sure. my hair used to ge frizzy when it dried so i pesonally washed it and let it dry so itd get a frizzy and it backcombed really well but my hair was natuarlly curly and naturally frizzy. i would say not to have it wet cuz you wouldnt want to break your hair to much and whenyour hair is wet it seems to break easier
hippie mama
@hippie-mama
15 years ago
154 posts
another thing if u did decide the backcomb method i would for sure not do it to loosley. i think thats a good reason some ppl who tried this method had fall out. i mean i did back comb and i was fierce with it and mine never fell out but it did take my like a kazillion hours to make sure they were super tight. if u feel the twist an rip works more for you then you go at it bro and good luck with your journey. wish ya the best
Denney Coning
@denney-coning
15 years ago
16 posts
We did backcombing with my husbands hair back in July. I definately recommend doing it tightly. I watched a video last night on knotty boys site of how they do dreads and it was sick. My husbands dreads haven't fallen out at all... It also took 3 weeks for me to do his hair. My hands hurt so bad by the time we got done. I'm going to start my dreads soon, but I'm not going through all that work, I'm going to do a combo of natural and rip and tear. Good luck...-Den's Wifey
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
yeah man, I just recently T&R a friends locks, and they looked sooo much better than my backcombed ones, *then again my were waxed as hell but eh*you could test two = sections of hair one backcombed one T&R'd and see how you like them,but after even seeing my ex's T&R locks I kinda wish I had tried that method instead,,, but this is only my opinion, not fact :)
 / 2

Dislike 1

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form