Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

rethinking my dreads

Anthony3
@anthony3
12 years ago
6 posts

hi all,im rethinking my dreads at the moment. i havent brushed my hair in about 3 and half months now so they are still babies. the thing is i have to wear my hair up at work and i heard that it slows down the process and messes them up making the knots slide down and turn into congos. and right now my hair IS really knotting towards halfway down to the bottom. i also wanted to dye my hair a natural blonde color. my tips and underside of my hair are naturally turning blonde for some reason (my sister said its going ombre) so i figured id dye it natural blonde. my hair is a dark brown though so id need to bleach it....AND also comb it :( so i want all of you guy's input on what i should do. im really contemplating on just starting over. cause the only part of my hair thats really starting to knot up good is the back corners of my hair (i think from where i sleep) and i really love the way blonde dreads look. whats your input?

updated by @anthony3: 01/13/15 09:40:21PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

bleachings hard on the hair and hard to upkeep in dreads

its nit so much typing it up messes up the process just makes it a lil slower and u got to seperate more is all

can u tye it back not up and k]=looser rather then tightly

id recon[-mend just lettingthem do what they do the tips will continue to hlighten and will look cool without the damage and hassle of constant bleaching

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Anthony3
@anthony3
12 years ago
6 posts

yea i get that bleaching isn't too good for hair, but i doubt it will make my hair fall out or anything. i just love the way blonde dreads look for some reason. and my hair has to be pulled in a pony tail, but i keep it loose

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

wont affect it too badly then..the ponytail i mean

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea we had 1 girl join awhile ago who bleachedthe hell outta hers then had a dread perm ontop of that.. she had dreadlike blobs hanging from a few strands of hair..like 4 of them the rest of her hair was already lost only those 3 blobs hangin on for dear life survived

once you bleach you will want to bleach again everytime he roots come in and they will get more and more fried

just let the sun lighten it gently and naturally

--
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
12 years ago
1,302 posts

I've heard that lemon juice sprayed on the hair will lighten it in direct sunlight. This would be a better way than chemicals. Spay the same dreads each time if you want certain ones to stand out more, kinda like highlighting.

soaring eagle said:

just let the sun lighten it gently and naturally

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
The hair knotting only in the bottom half is pretty normal from pulling in a ponytail, mine did that for a while. The 3 to 5 month period can be really frustrating too. Is there any way you can wear a tam at work instead of pulling it back. The lighter ends is pretty normal too, your hair may have always been like that, you just didn't notice because they weren't all clumped together. If you decide to use lemon juice, use it sparingly. Like chemical bleach, it can dry your hair out and make it very brittle. That can cause it to break off. I have dark brown hair too and have thought about bleaching it a bit but can't bring myself to do it.Also, I have to pull my hair back for work as well. It really bothered me for a while how my dreads were developing, but I finally got over it. I love my dreads now, I can't imagine not having them.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form