Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Silk or cotton pillowcase?

Mama Jme
@mama-jme
12 years ago
22 posts
Hi all, I have little 2 week old babies on my super straight, fine, tends-to-be-very-oily hair. I have read several places that a silk pillowcase is recommended to help hair stay together while dreading. I also read that silk dries hair out less than cotton. Would you guys recommend getting a silk pillow cover to sleep on, or sticking with my cotton ones? I know it's part of the process, so I'm not worried, but I've got loose hair all over the place, and it seems like more each day.Thanks!
updated by @mama-jme: 01/13/15 09:40:17PM
Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts
Everyone on here pretty much say a wool pillow case or a wool sweater over your pillow
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

Loose hair is what you want. It is from these that dreads are eventually formed. Maybe a cotton pillowcase is better because it seems, to me at least, that it would cause more hair to become loose and then tangled back up into the dreads. I wouldn't worry if your using a silk pillowcase though. I'd say its more the act of moving your head during the night that helps dreading, rather then the pillow texture.

Mama Jme
@mama-jme
12 years ago
22 posts
Hmm...wool sounds intriguing, but I already sleep so poorly that I'm not sure I would do well with a textured pillowcase (even hough I LOVE wool!). I read an explanation of the silk recommendation, that when you use one all of the friction and pulling takes place between your hairs, helping it lock together more, vs a cloth that pillow the hairs away from one another. I'm sure it really isn't a big deal, but I need a new pillow case and was considering trying a silk one.
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

No harm in that then. I'd say it would feel amazing to sleep on.

Mama Jme
@mama-jme
12 years ago
22 posts
Perhaps I'll try it as an experiment and report back :)
LionOfJudah
@lionofjudah
12 years ago
13 posts

Sounds good, I got some three month old locks that would probably enjoy trying out silk/cotton/wool pillow cases!=)

Ryan6
@shiftyeyes
12 years ago
19 posts

I switched from silk to wool and there was visible progress in my knotting. A lot more loose hairs but those will come together in time.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form