Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Please help?!

Logan2
@logan2
12 years ago
17 posts

So I just started my dreadlocks 2 weeks ago today. The girl that did mine works at a salon but only had one class on how to do dreads. I told her not to use wax or anything just back combing. She respected my wishes and started at the back of my head and worked her way to the front. The first few on the back of my head turned out a little fuzzy and not very locked but thought they would over time. As she moved towards the front of my hairline she got better and better. Today was my two weeks of dreads so i washed them for the first time today. I used the BS mixture and skipped the ACV wash since i saw Soaring Eagle told someone else to skip it for the first was. Anyways, the locks on the front of my face and the sides look hella good but the ones in the back fell out almost completely which now it just looks like my long hair again. My question to you my dread friends is, is what would you guys do about the back of my head? Would you just let nature do it's thing or have her redo just the back ones that don't look so good? And if I should have her redo them, how do I have her undo what is already barely done? Any help would be appreciative!

PS

I've attached a photo of the back of my head right now so you can see how it looks... and the front ones. Don't judge the rubber bands I just put those in a few minutes ago to hopefully help out until I get some answers from you guys!

Thank you,

Logan

updated by @logan2: 01/13/15 09:40:12PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

take the rubber bands out and let natyre take its course they look about right for 2 weeks

though i wouldnt have waited so long to wash

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

They look just fine. You can definitely see where some sections are. That's how they should look when they are that young.

Just let nature take it's course. Locks, no matter how you start them, will untangle and retangle and untangle and retangle over and over again for the first few months. Just wash 2-3 times a week and they will form sooner than you think.

Th bands will slow the process down, though. They can get sucked into locks and dry rot inside them causing mold

Logan2
@logan2
12 years ago
17 posts
Thanks for the inspiration and help guys! Just wondering @Baba Fats, do you mean just washing them with the BS or will Dr. Bronners help tighten them up too? Because I have some of that coming in the mail as we speak!
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Dr. B's works great in softer water. It doesn't rinse out well in hard water and will leave residue. But I used it for the first 5 years of my locks. I never had a problem.

Washing, in general, helps them knot. BS is just gentler on your head because it's a no touch wash. But sometimes massaging your scalp, like you do with other soaps, can promote locking

Liz Delamp
@liz-delamp
12 years ago
7 posts
I wouldn't be afraid to ask her to touch up the back for a discounted rate... up to you. The "under hair" at the back tends to dred quicker anyway
Logan2
@logan2
12 years ago
17 posts
Thanks Liz! I'm still unsure, but I think I might just let it go naturally. @Baba Fats I'll take your word for it! I'll wash them more than once a week like I was planning. You would know more than me, but I thought washing them more often would undo the new barely locked hair. That's why they say to wash it only once a week to give them more time to lock up. Just curious to know your side. (by the way, I'm starting to wash my hair every Sunday and Wednesday's now.)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

they will loosen b4 they tighten but washing will always make em progresss faster wether backwards or forwards its all progress u got to go looser b4 u go tighter so dont be afraid to wash
some ool who have progressed exteemely fast (natural) have washed every day or eveery other day
they always knot up most right after a wash

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

When they are young, they will come untangled. That's just a fact of the locking process. For the first few months they will untangle and retangle and untangle and retangle over and again every time you wash.

The more you wash, the more they untangle and retangle. If you only wash them once a week, they only untangle and retangle once a week.

On average, locks take a year to mature. The more you wash the faster they mature. Just as long as you don't let them stay wet too long. They do need to dry out completely before the next wash.

Logan2
@logan2
12 years ago
17 posts
You guys are the best! Thank you so much!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form